SS preamp with tube amp

I toying with the idea of using my Esoteric integrated as a preamp to pair up with a tube amp.  I'm wondering if I will get the "tube sound" with this set up.

Ag insider logo xs@2xgreginnh
My theory is that the signal from pretty much any good preamp is very clean, and the preamp isn’t required to do much else other than send that clean and not overdriven signal to the amp where a tube amp can add the mojo. This is my justification for my SS preamp to tube power amp rig, but man…a tube preamp might be in my future as I simply like looking at tubes…I may need therapy...
IME transistors don't do the low level detail thing as well as tubes. Fast yes, but low level detail, no. So I figure tubes in the front end and a solid state amp if you have to have solid state.

The idea there is if the signal source gets messed up early on, no good quality of amp and speaker can recover the lost detail downstream.

YMMV on account of not all tube preamps and solid state preamps are exactly the same in fact they are pretty well all different. So like many things in audio this is a suggestion not a rule. Listen and see.  
Atmasphere,
You may have unraveled an issue that I'm experiencing. This refers to your statement about the quality of a solid state preamp for lower level detail. My main speakers want closed corners for reinforcement, so I got subs for fill-in. I had heard a knock off of my system at a buddy's place except he has closed corners plus a very fine tube line stage. The bass was highly focused and detailed. I don't get that level of detail and focus even with my subs, so you have me wondering if it isn't my SS line stage?
Kenny
Kenny,
I’ve used tube preamplifiers exclusively for the past 20 years and actually agree with what atmosphere wrote regarding superior low level information retrieval. Only in the context of the OP’s question concerning "tube character" I happen to believe that the power amplifier offers the greater degree of this character.

I use 300b mono blocks as you do and I am certain you’d love a high quality tube preamplifier. My SET amplifier sounds wonderful with the Coincident Statement Line Stage and the Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamplifier. Also excellent with the VAC Signature preamplifier. Kenny I think your bass issues could be partially explained due to the placement of your Hornings. 
Charles
Charles,
Good points. I don't want to hijack Greg's post, but I thought that the addition of open baffle subs, that want to be away from walls, would give me the low level detail. I'll have to see, because things are slowly improving as the subs are breaking in.
Kenny