SS preamp with tube amp

I toying with the idea of using my Esoteric integrated as a preamp to pair up with a tube amp.  I'm wondering if I will get the "tube sound" with this set up.

Ag insider logo xs@2xgreginnh
Kenny,
Your Boulder SS preamp driving 300b tube amplifier is an excellent example of what I meant.  It can be done quite successfully. There are othere on this site who've done this as well. 

The bigger issue with the Aerial speaker is the difficult impedance characteristics more so than the low speaker sensitivity. 
Charles 
in terms of resolution, an integrated may very well be the most transparent and best combination IF it is designed and implemented really well, but most aren't hence the typical sentiments against them

audiophiles like to change things frequently and separates feed that addiction, hence the design effort focused on separates

but there are many good integrateds - the real question is will they drive your speakers well

assuming you do not upgrade your speakers, find an amp (or amp section of an integrated) that can drive them well

if you do upgrade your speakers, find an amp (or amp section of an integrated) that can drive them well ;]

My theory is that the signal from pretty much any good preamp is very clean, and the preamp isn’t required to do much else other than send that clean and not overdriven signal to the amp where a tube amp can add the mojo. This is my justification for my SS preamp to tube power amp rig, but man…a tube preamp might be in my future as I simply like looking at tubes…I may need therapy...
IME transistors don't do the low level detail thing as well as tubes. Fast yes, but low level detail, no. So I figure tubes in the front end and a solid state amp if you have to have solid state.

The idea there is if the signal source gets messed up early on, no good quality of amp and speaker can recover the lost detail downstream.

YMMV on account of not all tube preamps and solid state preamps are exactly the same in fact they are pretty well all different. So like many things in audio this is a suggestion not a rule. Listen and see.  
Atmasphere,
You may have unraveled an issue that I'm experiencing. This refers to your statement about the quality of a solid state preamp for lower level detail. My main speakers want closed corners for reinforcement, so I got subs for fill-in. I had heard a knock off of my system at a buddy's place except he has closed corners plus a very fine tube line stage. The bass was highly focused and detailed. I don't get that level of detail and focus even with my subs, so you have me wondering if it isn't my SS line stage?
Kenny