Looking to build a system for under $5k

Hello,

I am brand new to audio and looking to put a system together for around/under $5k all in. Any recommendations?

This would be mainly for CD audio but expandable for phono in the future. I have a small bedroom that I am dedicating as a music room upstairs in a cape cod style home. So it has angled walls that follow the roof line.

Looking for components that offer the biggest bang for the buck. I've done some research over the last couple of months and it seems like the Vandersteen 1Ci might be a good cornerstone to design a system around.

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie

YMMV, of course, but Vandersteen 1Cs were my first real hi-fi speakers.  While they sounded good at the dealer, they never really worked in my home.  I added subwoofers, replaced my amp, preamp (with a tubed preamp), wires and digital front end.  I got improvements along the way, but I never had it where I wanted to just sit and listen.  There was always as sense of strain, of congestion, at high volumes, and too much grit in the upper-mid/lower-treble range.  About seven years ago I upgraded to Ohm Walsh 2000s and have never looked back.  I now look forward to long, fatugue-free listening sessions.

My take away from this is always, ALWAYS, insist on a home audition for any speakers you are considering.  Hear how they sound in your home, with your gear, with your music, and without a dealer hovering behind you telling you how great the sound is.  Hearing how they sound at the shop is of very limited value.

Audio Conection is a wonderful dealer.  But, if you are in NJ, let me add a few B&M stores in NJ worth checking out:

Care Audio in Edison

The Art of Sound in Lambertville

Distinctive Stereo in River Vale

Audio Video Synergy in Clinton

Bravo Audio/Video in Bernardsville

And if you are in NJ, I would invite you to check out the New Jersey Audio Society.  Joining this club will give you a chance to hear all sorts of gear, and speakers, at all price levels, at retailers and in people's homes.  www.njaudiosociety.com

Hey Bondmanp, why no mention of the Audio Doctor in Jersey City or Audio Nexus in Summit or CSA Audio in Monclair?

Many years ago I visited CSA Audio and they were a nice dealer heard some Wilsons and Totems.

Was in Summit for a photo shoot and popped into Nexus. 

Have you ever been to the Audio Doctor showroom, very impressive store, huge selection of top high end brands, four sound rooms and the owner is very nice and really knows his stuff.

Went in to Bravo they didn't seem like a high end audio store at all I saw a big home theater there and almost nothing else, do they have some room I was missing?

you have a good system on order and can now sit back and enjoy listening

next thing is to address your source material - the Redbook CD std. will be fine but be sure you have the best recording/mastering chain for things you care about

in general, CDs released within a few years of the beginning of the CD std. (say the 1980s) will be of poor quality

similar concerns apply for streaming...

@mdelrossi1 Yes, came in well under my 5k budget. I'll probably order a few panels from GIK.

@bondmanp Thanks for the great suggestions. Will def. check them out! I didn't realize I had The Art of Sound so close to me in Lambertville. 15 min. down the road.

@gdnrbob Thanks!

@kuppe38 Agreed. Audio Doctors has very impressive showrooms!

@randy-11 Thanks. That's exactly what I intend to do.....