Speakers for electronic/hiphop/rnb [$4000 range]?

Hello everybody,

Let me start off by saying I don’t know much about hifi. I’m trying to educate myself by visiting forums like these and I’m learning some things but most information goes over my head. And most of you listen to classical/rock/jazz so it’s hard to find an opinion that is relevant to me without asking. I currently have a set of Kef ls50’s that I blind bought because of amazing reviews paired with an arcam a19 integrated amplifier and it’s basically the best purchase I’ve ever made. It’s made me appreciate music in a different way and now I would like to upgrade to a new setup in a designated music room with new speakers and new components. The room will be 12x17.

A store near me sells Harbeth speakers but I think I read bass is lacking in these but I may still try to audition them, I’m not really sure what else is well regarded in my price range..
torontoelectro
@mrdecibel -
Great advice! I can see why some people think speakers are for one genre or another, but for me, a well made speaker will play any type of music properly.
As greg mentions, music should be played at normal levels. I really don't like listening to an instrument that is over life size. But, that's just me speaking as an older person (who listened to loud music in his yourth and is now paying the price).
B

I think you should listen to the Harbeth's because you can. A LOT of people talk about Harbeth's who have never heard them...ever. I agree that they might not suit your taste at this point in time. As you get older there's a chance your music preferences will change and they might be suited to your tastes. I used to be a die hard B&W fanboy when I listened to music very loud and mostly rock.  I now listen to a huge variety of music and the Harbeth's do everything right for me. Don't ever pass up the opportunity to listen to a good speaker. It may very well introduce you to a new musical genre and forever change your life.
The golden ear tritons are exactly the speakers I was thinking of! 

Greg does have a point, though. But it is a generalization and will not always be true. Though it often is. His point is that speaker manufacturers probably aren't hiring the best amp designers out there. So the amps in powered speakers probably aren't going to be super cutting edge.

But the tritons seem like they may be an exception to the generalization.
Speakers don't care what you put through them. Classical music is pretty demanding- what works well for that works well for hip-hop and house as well. That a speaker is good for a particular genre of music is one of the longest-running myths about loudspeakers out there.

There is good advice on this thread despite that- audition if you can, and don't ignore the relationship between amps and speakers. Several of my employees are into hip hop- they all run tube amps and easy to drive speakers.