What is most important part of a system?

I remember reading someone saying that the most important part of a system was the source. I thought "Wrong! Speakers are the most important".

Now, I have changed my mind. Source is the most important part.

Right or wrong but this is how I came to this conclusion;

I have tried the same system with a CD player and a turntable. By far LP sounds better than a CD. Btw, the system had all high-end amps, speakers, cables, etc.

What is most important part of a system for you?

celo
All of it, from dedicated 20amp circuit to last possible tweak. And above all my ears which helps me analyze the importance of each and every component in a system to sit back and enjoy music. 
Give me a $20 dvd player to spin cd's on the best speakers made . Would not want the best source made to play on bose speakers

The most important part of any audio system is the person setting it up. The individual who puts up the rig controls everything from the larger parameters of performance, such as cost, to the minutia, such as listening position and position of speakers.

I have for years stated, "The single greatest impediment to building a high end system is the audiophile." Why say that? Because most audiophiles inhibit system development through mistakes they make. They do not wish to spend enough money, or they do not care enough to find highly synergistic gear, or they ignore aftermarket power cords, or a better digital source, or USB cable, etc. Most, perhaps 75%, of audio systems are not that good because the person putting it together doesn't care all that much, or is chintzy, or depends on someone else's advice versus actually trying several things to improve it.

It should be obvious that ALL parts are critical, that any one which is poor can submerge the performance. It's self-defeating to discuss which one component is most important. That is like asking, "Which parts of this system can I skimp on and still expect great results?" It's a loser's game. :)

Don't expect cheapskates, who are always looking for a way to skimp on it at some point(s), to build a superior system. :(

You are the most important part of the system. Knowing your priorities, goals and circumstances can save a lot of $$$. No equipment, no matter how good, is going to "make" you enjoy listening.
Just like any question in this hobby, ask 10 different audiophiles and get 11 different answers.

That said, my answer would to the most important part of the system would be: the room.