New Ikea storage unit great for LP's!

Desiring new racks for my LP’s, and hearing that the Ikea Kallax was popular with collectors, I went to the Ikea in my new city to check it out. I found the Kallax to have one enticing quality: very large capacity for very little money. Other than that, it didn’t fulfill my desires. At 15-3/4" deep, LP’s are too far from the front edge of the rack. Even worse, the rack is open on the backside, having no rear panel! It is meant to be a room divider, not an LP rack or bookcase. I’m guessing owners don’t mind, as the rack will usually be placed up against a wall, that wall then acting as a rear panel. But I want my LP’s to be inside an enclosed structure, not an open one, if for no other reason than to keep dust away from the LP cover opening. The lack of a rear panel is also at least partially responsible for another problem with the rack: it is not very structurally stiff and strong, being a little wobbly, able to move side-to-side. Ikea has other similar racks---the Bitrade, Valje, and Nornas, but they too fell short of my requirements.

So I kept looking. There are some fine LP racks out there, but I consider the prices ridiculous. Last night I went onto the Ikea website, again looking at their storage units. There was a brand new one named EKET pictured, and it looked like it might fit the bill, so today I went to Ikea to have a look. I do believe I have found my new LP racks! The EKET comes in several different sizes, from a single 13-3/4" cube to a 4-cubicle box. The 4-cubicle version measures 27-1/2" x 27-1/2" x 13-3/4" deep exterior, each cubicle having interior dimensions of 12-7/8" tall, 12-7/8" wide, and 13" deep, perfect for LP’s. Priced at only $50, the EKET 4-cube model provides over four linear feet of LP storage. And it has a back panel! It is also considerable more stiff than the Kallax, which gives me piece of mind. There are a couple of accessory options, including a set of four adjustable feet ($5!) and a 4" base platform, also height-adjustable ($15). Another is a set of screw-on clips which hold multiple units together if they are stacked one atop another. Three of the racks and a base platform end up being 86-1/2" (7’ 2-1/2") tall, perfect for me.

The Ikea EKET is best LP storage deal I have found, so if you have enough LP’s to make their storage an economic concern, check it out. It will leave you more dough for the LP’s themselves!

128x128bdp24
Good idea Glenn. The Kallax 25 space unit is the best deal around at $199, providing almost 30 linear feet of LP storage (almost 6’ wide, and 5 rows high)! If I got the Kallax (I would be getting a number of the 4-space and 8-space units, my rooms layout not allowing the 25 space model), I was planning on screwing pressed fiberboard onto the rear of each, perhaps even a piece into each space, with 2" x 2" blocks behind each to shorten the depth. The Kallax 8-space unit sells for $65, the 4-space EKET for $50, the Kallax obviously a better deal per linear foot. But I really like the look of the EKET (it looks a little more "finished" than the Kallax, with a even thickness panels having rounded edges), and the charcoal color, not available in the Kallax. It’s all good!
For storage systems which may be too deep, here's an inexpensive solution.  Many years ago, before Ikea, I bought some 30"x15"x15" boxes at an unfinished furniture store.  I selected the model with 4 vertical divisions.  I then found some scrap 1"x1" stock which I cut to the width of each division.  I then glued one in each compartment 12.5" back from the front.  That serves as a stopper when albums are inserted while providing a small set back from the front to protect the albums.
this is exactly what I did. 

thanks bdp24 - I'm ordering some drawer units.  I don't like using the lower cubes for LP's since in my old age it's too hard to stoop down that low. The drawers will make good use of those cubes.
spelly, the 25 space Kallax is listed and pictured on the Ikea website at the $199 price (plus shipping), and is priced the same in the Portland Oregon store I went into. I would think that is the price at all Ikea locations, but have no way to verify that. There is also a 16-cubicle version (4 spaces wide, 4 high) that is an even better deal at $109! The 8-cubicle model is priced at $65, and the 4-cubicle at $35. Great deals one and all. The fully enclosed and slightly smaller EKET’s are priced as follows: 13-3/4" cube @ $20, 2-cubicle 13-3/4" x 27-1/2" @ $30, and 4-cubicle 27-1/2" x 27-1/2" @ $50. The rear of each EKET is predrilled for the clips (an optional accessory priced @ $5/dozen) that secure multiple units together for stacking, and hardware to secure the EKET to a wall is included with each model. I also like the optional 4" high platform (with height-adjustable feet) to get the rack off the floor, priced @ $10 (for the narrower version) and $15 (for the wider). Why spend more? Some of the LP racks out there cost as much as do all the used LP’s it takes to fill them!
+bdp24 "The Expidit was the model the Kallax is a replacement for. There was such an outcry when the Expidit was discontinued that Ikea reintroduced it as the Kallax, the name being the only difference between the two."

Not true. The Expedit had thicker shelves.