Importing files to iMac

I'm importing files from discs to an iMac for transfer to a Sony HAP. I've been using iTunes (MP3 at 192 kbytes), but it's been suggested I should use uncompressed AIFF. But iTune AIFF is limited to 48 kbytes. What's the tradeoff between compressed and lossless and bit-rate? Should I look for software other than iTunes for encoding disc files, and if so what?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
@sbank No idea whether the Sony HAP-Z1ES can handle ripped SACDs.  But it handles DSD downloads pretty well.  Who needs to mess with physical disks at this point, short of archiving?  I've already put my CDs onto the Sony internal drive, and I ain't going back to physical media for digital (vinyl's another story).  

The Sony app, which works very well, shows the file resolution in the track listings.  The highest resolution it handles, as far as I know, is DSD 5.6Mhz, as with the recent Bill Evans "Some Other Time" album, currently playing on the Sony.  I'm hoping that firmware updates from the inscrutable Sony world will continue to keep this player at least mid-fi relevant.
Spencer,

The statement I can make without fear of dispute is that I don't know what the Sony HAP-Z1ES does, but whatever it does, the sound satisfies me.

My principal SACD player is an Ayre C-5xeMP in another setup.  Neither the HAP-Z1ES nor the XA5400ES quite matches it, but the HAP does sound very similar to the Sony disc player.

db  

Here are a few other options to get best quality transfers.
At the advise of acousticsounds.com, I purchased a Mercury Pro optical drive from OWC and transfer Redbook CDs directly to the HAP-Z1ES in .wav format.
Acousticsounds.com also recommended JRivers software which allows you to up-convert Redbook CD to DSD which can then be transferred to the HAP-Z1Es. JRivers software has many other useful features as well.

Transferring any material in MP3 kind of defeats the advantage of having the HAP-Z1ES. Stay with a lossless format such as AIFF, FLAC, DSD etc.

I've managed to rip an SACD using FLAC with XLD and the tracks show up in an XLD window on my iMac, but I don't know how to make the HAP transfer app find the file.  It seems to look for files in iTunes.

db

I have XLD, JRiver, and Audirvana running on my iMac.  Yet iTunes seems to be the default app for music files.  Should I quit out of iTunes if I want to try ripping with FLAC?