Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Ok so I am way too lazy to read ALL of the posts in here but scanned through a few.
I was probably in the group pf class d naysayers due to a bad experience a few years back with a pair of bel canto 500m monoblocks that were basically, well soulless, inert, etc etc.
Now after a very positive upgrade of my ht rig from a pair of emotiva space heaters to a single nuforce class d i am ready to be convinced.

so any sensible recommendations to audition for my system which I have to say i am very happy with right now but i am always open minded.

present is esoterIc sa-50, ARC LS2 pre, b&w 804d and BAT VK600SE.

BUDGET would be max $5k for amp

thank you

I hear the new Peachtree Novas have done a good job. I'd be curious how they sound
@uberwaltz..... try a Red Dragon S500. I've had mine for nearly a year, and have no itch to go back to SET or any other tubed or SS amps. There's one listed in us audio mart. No affiliation.

Put a tube preamp in front of it, and off you go. 6Moons favorably compared it to $8k Luxman class A monoblocks.

Bottom line is it will sound like what's in front of it, it is so transparent, imo!

Hi UberWaltz, Bel Canto Ref500 is not one of my favorite amps... Even when it was current technology, it lacked the sweetness and transparency of its more powerful REF1000 Mk.2 brother.

On the other hand, it is worth mentioning that ICEpower-based amps have traditionally been bears to break-in.... And for at least a couple hundred hours out of the box they tend to sound dry and uninvolving.

In your $5K price range, I suggest you look into the current Bel Canto REF600 monoblocks, which are based on the excellent NCore NC1200 modules.... All NC1200 implementatios I have heard this far have been sweet and musical.... And you should hear some decent music out of them within about 200 hours.... But complete break-in hovers around the 1000 hours boundary.

One more mono amp...  Below $3K is the D-Sonic M3/1500. It is based on the excellent Pascal X-Pro2 module:

http://www.d-sonic.net/products/mono/ 

Regards, Guido

I hear the new Peachtree Novas have done a good job. I'd be curious how they sound
People either love them or can't stand them is what I have noticed. They are beautiful though.