Why are low impedance speakers harder to drive than high impedance speakers

I don't understand the electrical reason for this. I look at it from a mechanical point of view. If I have a spring that is of less resistance, and push it with my hand, it takes little effort, and I am not working hard to push it. When I have a stiffer spring (higher resistance)  I have to work harder to push it. This is inversely proportional when we are looking at amplifier/speaker values.

So, when I look at a speaker with an 8 ohm rating, it is easier to drive than a speaker with a 4 ohm load. This does not make sense to me, although I know it to be true. I have yet been able to have it explained to me that makes it clear.  Can someone explain this to me in a manner that does not require an EE degree?

Thanks

128x128crazyeddy
I've heard it described like this:  remember that the amp is not just pushing against a spring in one direction, but rather pushing and pulling back and forth.  Less impedance, e.g. a lighter spring in your analogy, means more slop, more wiggle room, that the amp must now cope with in order to control the woofer.

Almarg, please weigh in and set us all straight.  ;-)
It's about the amp.  Amps like to put out at 8 ohms.  The mechanical analogy isn't a good one.  Instead, think about your past gf's.
A low impedance speaker requires greater current from the amplifier to result in the same voltage at the output.
I ain’t Al but one of the few things I sort of understand about electronics is Ohm’s law.

From Wikipedia
Ohm’s law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. Introducing the constant of proportionality, the resistance, one arrives at the usual mathematical equation that describes this relationship:

I (current; amps) = Voltage divided by Resistance (ohms)

At the risk of embarrassing myself, as resistance decreases the current required for a given voltage goes up.

As an example:
1 volt/8 ohms = 0.125 amps;
1 volt/6 ohms = 0.167 amps;
1 volt/4 ohms = 0.25 amps
1 volt/2 ohms = 0.5 amps

So, for a constant voltage, current requirements double going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms and quadruple going to 2 ohms. Current production is a more useful indicator of amp "grunt" than rated wattage (or so I think).

The other thing to remember is that for a given speaker design, resistance might not be constant across the frequency range. Low resistance dips occurring at different points can result in differences in how things sound between two amps with similar wattage ratings but differing in current output capability.

That’s what I think I know.

I'll embarrass myself by saying I have always thought of it as a hose with water going through it.  If you have a narrow opening at the end (say, using a nozzle), which equates with high impedance in my analogy, you can get a powerful jet of water from the hose with your normal water pressure or even less, but if you take the nozzle off (low impedance) you won't get the same powerful jet of water unless you significantly increase the water pressure (in the analogy, a much more powerful amp). 

I'm sure Al will give the best technical explanation.