Your first component that was "special"

I got into hifi 40 years ago. I had a Pioneer receiver, Kenwood table, various entry level cartridges (ADC, Stanton, Empire) and Studio Design speakers. I wound up buying a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. That was the first piece of gear I bought that was way beyond ordinary. I had kept the cartridge until about 2o years ago- I sold it because by then no decent replacement stylus was available. Wish I still had it.

128x128zavato
Audio Research D-60 Solid State Amp. I eventually got two and ran them in bridged mode. Lots of power, but had to be careful with speaker impedance... which I knew nothing about. They never had a problem though.
My special component was a complete system, purchased in 1970 while stationed in the Navy on Okinawa. Purchased all in same day.

Dual 1219 turntable,
Sure V15 type II or III, (can't remember),
Sansui AU555 integrated amplifier,
Pioneer 63DX speakers.

Replaced this system in 1982.
Mid-70's, a McIntosh 2300 power amp (tested by Dave O'Brien at over 400 watts per channel at clipping) which was my band's PA amp.  It could drive 4 pairs of Mac ML-1 loudspeakers, no problem. 
Dunlavy Cantata speakers. They were special. I eventually sold them because I was on the audio merry-go-round--a decision I regretted for quite a while.