What's the deal with coloring CD's and/or tray mechanism

I just stumbled across an old thread discussing this process, and the sonic advantages. It's intriguing, and I wonder what other members think. I am primarily into vinyl, and don't listen to cd's that often, but if I can improve the audio quality, then I am interested, to say the least.

I am concerned though, about painting the tray of my McIntosh, for fear of damage, and also de-valuing it's re-sale value

128x128crazyeddy

"If edge supposed to reflect infrared then it should be gold marker, but if it supposed to kill reflections it should be black. Green doesn’t make sense."

green makes sense if you if you want to absorb red light. Reflecting any light doesn’t make sense since reflections will make their way to the photodetector. The scattered light completely fills the transport compartment.

Don't bother with it.  It's an old tweak that died out years ago.  My apologies in advance to anyone still doing it.
geoffkait, black would still absorb red light better than green.  Green makes sense if you want to absorb red light ONLY.
Green indicates other visible wavelengths of light from longer red to shorter blue are absorbed and only green reflected. That’s why you see green. Green is not the complimentary color of red. That would be blue + red which is magenta. So any conclusions based on this incorrect info cannot be correct. It would help to get the science of light correct first before attempting to apply it. Also how visible light is absorbed or reflected indicates nothing about infrared which is longer wavelength than any visible light and absorbed or reflected independently.

You would think a former NASA scientist would know these things. Sheesh. Wikipedia is still your friend.

Also to absorb red light only the color you would see is cyan which is blue + green reflected and red absorbed. What happens with non visible light at longer or shorter wavelengths is again independent of what happens at visible wavelengths blue through green through red.