Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
-- to dgarretson, czbbcl, or anyone who can answer...

Please describe the proper method to disconnect the ribbon harness on the Sony SCD-1 to remove the top cover. I tugged on the harness and it did not come loose, so I just rested the top cover on a box about the same size as the CDP and left the harness connected while doing some of the maintenance described by member dgarretson.

SCD-1/777ES Transport Maintenance

1. Tilt up top cover at rear of CDP and disconnect ribbon harness that secures top cover to Main Board at front of CDP. Remove cover and set aside.

@stevebraxton

Instead of tugging on it, try worrying it out with a rocking motion, or maybe working a jewelers screwdriver into the seam of the header. Don’t tug at the ribbon itself. Honestly it’s been a long time since I did this.

dgarretson,
Thank you for the response. This was helpful.

Can you provide the name of the OEM manufacturer for the sled motor ?

"11. If you continue to have read problems, then replace the sled motor, which has been discontinued as a Sony part but is still available from OEM manufacturer."
Steve,  My files from the mid-2000s indicate that the sled motor is a Mabuchi RF-300CH 11400. 
Are you guys still listening to this spinner?

The old Sony repair center in Laredo TX is now in Michigan.
There are other authorized Sony/Sony ES repair techs in other states as well.  Happy Listening!