Home Theatre Question

Im new to Home Theatre. A friend who installs
home automation systems and surround recently wired my home
up for a Focus4 system. He then cut out seven 8-inch holes
in the ceiling of my listening room for ceiling speakers.
The holes are for 7.1 surround speakers. Im concerned that
all seven speakers pointing downward from the ceiling wont create proper surround sound. Is there any merit to the
placement of all 7 speakers on the ceiling ? The speakers
will sit flat in the ceiling.
thanks for responses
taylspin
Vic- I see that you have a pair of Avalon Eidolons in your two-channel system. Do you have seven Eidolons in your HT system? I’m thinking of using five or seven Vandy 1Cs or Eminent Technology LFT VIIIBs in my basement (under construction) music room / theater.

I agree with your assessment of the need for room correction. Kal, who I consider the ultimate last word in anything surround, using a setup with five identical speakers, could here a marked difference between the front and back speakers when using pink noise; until he switched Audyssey in and then all sounded identical!

Oh, and thanks for the HDMI cable case of beer.

Russ
No, just two Eidolons but they are simply outstanding. Hearing them in stores and shows they always seemed sleepy to me and they never changed or upgraded the design all that much over the years. After just a few weeks their presentation became clear to us. Thankfully, my wife gets Hi-Fi so the Avalons look and sound stunning out in the middle of the room.

I consider Vandersteen and Thiel at a similar level of accomplishment for dynamic speakers. I'm not a panel fan but in an HT they could be great. As I understand it the Audyssey system is parametric in nature and the Pioneer is a combination of parametric and graphic EQ.

My new HT sounds way better even using the same speakers (Triangle Comet). Playing music videos we crank the HT up and the class D receiver doesn't run out of gas the way the linear receiver did.
the benefits of having flush mount speakers are: 1) no comb-filtering from speaker boundary reflection (at least for the boundary the speaker's attached to), 2) no speaker/boundary reflection issues to smear transients, 3) dynamic reinforcement from boundary itself being so close to the driver, for greater efficiency.
Down side to flush mount (considering you have sealed enclosure for speaker, and not wall cavity as enclosure): 1) is you will be reinforcing the bass modes in the room with such a setup, 2) it's likely your speakers won't be able to adequately "aim" or point towards the desired listening positions for proper tonality, due to water-fall response issues, 3) on ceiling mounting applications - as considered here - yes, localization and proper anchoring of the soundstage will be thrown off...drawing you out of the perspective, in relation to the screen. (basically, the dialog will be sounding like it's coming from the ceiling, and not centered near the phyisical screen.
I personally can usually work with ceiling mounted rears and sides, often. However, I don't like front L/C/R speakers up front in a ceiling mounted application. Just doesn't make a realistic front sound-stage, wich is critical.
I'd recommend using the back, sides, etc, but do some sealed boxed speakers for your L/C/R's. I think you'll get better restults, have better flexibility, and a higher overall performing system, potentially.
Good luck