HDCD rescue - it's possible, but man...

I spent the better part of today sick, but working on finding a way to decode music I might have that is HDCD encoded.

As a refresher, HDCD was an enhanced CD format. In some ways the predecessor to MQA. HDCD was an engineer's toolbox, allowing the mastering engineer to select a number of features. This would then be decoded by a matching chip on a CD player or DAC. The most famous feature of HDCD was bit-compression. Getting a 24 bit signal encoded in a 16 bit music file.

As an aside, the Pacifics Microsonics AD converters were highly prized by engineers for their sound quality. Anyway, the format got bought by Microsoft and died.

Of the 670 CD's I have ripped only about 11 were HDCD encoded. But man, what a pain. I ripped everything to FLAC, but the HDCD decoder only does WAV. I had to download source, compile it, then write a script to go through every CD and decide if it's HDCD or not. Once found, I have to convert from FLAC (44/16) to WAV, decode the WAV file (now 24 bits) and convert back to FLAC to compress again.

The discovery process was pretty fast.  About 10 minutes to go through them all by cheating. :) More time was spent figuring out how to pass apostrophe's in file names than finding the files.  Nathalie Merchant was one author who consistently used HDCD by the way.
erik_squires
@bondmanp You're welcome.  It took me a while to discover it too so I have several that also need to be re-ripped.  Actually, I'm surprised at how many I actually have.  Use George's suggestion above to Google a list and compare to your library!
Oppo 103 also has HDCD playback! Who knew??

I keep forgetting. I didn't think anything this new still had HDCD built in.
Oppo 103 also has HDCD playback! Who knew??
That's interesting.  It used to be quite expensive to license the HDCD encoder from Pacific Microsonics.  If that's still the case, it's even more impressive that it shows up in a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment.
HDCD was developed back in the 1990's. It is probably not expensive to license any longer (statue of limitations).
One of the reasons that I still keep my old EAD 7000Mk3 DAC is because it decodes HDCD. To my ears, HDCD is a very nice and easily heard improvement over the standard Redbook.
I actually believe that HDCD can still compete today with some of the higher rez formats. IMO, HDCD has a certain 'analog' sound to it that seems to do away with some of the digital nasties, that are to my ears always present in digital reproduction.