Problem with Esoteric service

Hello all. I recently bought an Esoteric UX3SE from another site. It arrived intact. After giving it 24 hours to warm up, I settled in for a listen. It sounded great. However, the next day as I went to listen I found that the unit didn't want to read many of my perfect CDs. I verified that the discs played on other units. Still, the Esoteric gave the message "no disc". I called Esoteric to find out the cost of evaluating the problem and to find out their service cost. Two days into trying to get a call back, I'm worried about this company. The receptionist says that only one man; Brian can answer questions about my problem. I'm concerned with the fact that I've called three times in attempt to talk to him. Of course I can return the unit to the seller so I'm not out the money. Does anyone else have experience with Esoteric? I'm nervous about them at this point. Thank you. Joe
128x128jnovak
If you'd purchased this from a dealer, he could help. If you're serious about repair, ship the unit to Esoteric so that they can diagnose the problem. (They can't troubleshoot long distance any better than your auto mechanic can.) If shipping to Esoteric makes you uncomfortable, return the player to the seller.
Hi cleeds, I don't think you understood the problem. I Can't get Esoteric to call me back! Shipping to them is impossible at this point unless they respond to my calls. Even if their policy is to deal only with dealers, I need to know that. That is a question I'm hoping someone here can answer. The player sounds really good. I'd like to resolve the issue. I did buy it from a dealer but not an authorized Esoteric dealer. With many companies, this isn't an issue. Most of my gear is second hand. Pass Labs never had a problem servicing my preamp or amp. What is Esoterics position? Joe
jnovak
... I Can't get Esoteric to call me back! Shipping to them is impossible at this point unless they respond to my calls ... I did buy it from a dealer but not an authorized Esoteric dealer.
If you purchased this from a dealer, I'd let the dealer deal with the repair. That's a basic function of a dealer.  If you want to deal directly with Esoteric, what you need to know is clearly stated on its website: 

If you would like to return your product to us for service please use the guidelines below. No RA number is needed.

The shipping and mailing address is:

Tap Electronics Company

6920 Hermosa Circle
Buena Park, CA 90620
Tel: (714) 562-7400
Fax: (714) 562-7405

Hours:
Monday – Friday
8:30AM-5:00PM, PST
Saturdays by appointment only

In your shipment please include:

1.A complete description of the problem
2.If there are any particular pieces of media that are more symptomatic than others, please include them. We will return the media with the repaired unit.
3.A copy of your proof of purchase to validate the warranty (if any).
4.Your name, address and phone number(s)
5.Any specific return shipping instructions
6.Your e-mail address
7.A FAX number if available
8.Do not include remote controls, accessories, power cords or manuals Our technicians have those items at each test station.

OK, SUCCESS! I spoke with Ted at Esoteric in California. The toll free number is in New Jersey. (where Brian apparently resides). Ted is a tech who gave me the scoop. Not as bad as I feared though this unit may need to go back to the dealer depending on what he agrees to. Because this unit is a UX3SE, Ted said it may need to go back to Japan as there is a jig for setting the laser only in Japan. Maybe not though. He is checking with Japan. Best case scenario is $300.00 to $400.00 or upwards of $800.00 IF it can be repaired here. I'll post the results as they become available. Joe