Looking for recommendations - vintage amp & preamp to go with Ohm Walsh 2's

After 20+ years of not owning anything that qualifies as being beyond being an entry level "home theatre in a box", I'm going to go back to my 80's roots in "hi-fi" I have picked up a pair of Ohm Walsh 2's in very good condition, and now am looking for an amp, preamp. I think I need a reasonable amount of power as from what I understand, the Walsh isn't the most efficient speaker.

I'm wanting to start out with something that's better than I have now (LOL... which is nothing) Found a Carver TFM-25 Paired with CT-17 Preamp, which seems like a descent deal just under $400 for starting out, Would expect that should be a fairly good combination based purely on specs on paper.

Eventuality is to upgrade the drivers in the Ohm's with the Super Walsh 2.2, and then start looking at upgrading the amp & preamp.

Seem like a good plan to start? Would be interested to hear options/opinions for amp & preamp based on the speaker set up. Wanting to keep to the vintage 80's equipment.

cdn38
The flooring should work out pretty well, its a concrete floor with a short pile carpet and underlay. If it seems to be soaking up to much of the sound I'll make some platforms for them from MDF, and maybe experiment with some different coverings. 

Speakers arrive in a week, and I have yet to pull the trigger on the components.... but I'm really excited about getting this all put together.
cdn38,I basically did the same as you,returning to my Ohm Walsh 2's that I have had since the 80's.I had them next to higher end system in my man cave powered by a Acoustic Research amp of the 70's vintage it was 60w per channel at 4 ohms,same impedance as the Walsh.I was always impressed with the sound.
I talked with John at ohm and took the plunge for the upgrade to the super 2-2000. I use a modwright tube pre with a Forte 4a class A solid state amp,that is a very conservative 50w of class a power per channel. Everything about the original 2's was improved.
You will be impressed by the upgrade, I was so impressed I sold my expensive monitors and use the super 2's only.
My room is 13x11,best of luck.
I upgraded my Walsh 2s to 2_100s3 ,6 years ago. Great upgrade. I have run mine very nicely with a upgraded McIntosh mc250 with an Acurus R11, modified McIntosh MA5100, and recently a new marantz pm8005. Also an ATI 1502. I would recommend a minimum of 50 watts RMS. The 5100 was rated for 45 but delivered about 60. All in a 15 by 22 room with soaring ceiling playing all kinds of music. I have hardwood floors with s large area rug to handle reflection. The speakers deliver equal with vintage or modern gear.