Evolution Acoustics MM2/MM3

Hi,

i am toying with the idea of replacing my current speakers. I currently have Rockport Aviors, which by the way, I love.

The only reason reason I would contemplate changing the Aviors are for bigger, better scale of presentation, bass definition and depth and most importantly, the ability to adjust the bass and tweeter response. Hence the veer towards EA speakers.

While I have posted a similar post elsewhere in the forum, I hope someone will be able to comment on whether I am looking in the right direction or not? Also, I would be quite keen to buy a used pair of MM2 or MM3 ( for that matter) if someone here is keen to sell theirs on way to an upgrade.

neeless to say, I have heard only good things about EA and some recent impression, of one of my good audiophile friends, of the MM7 at Mike Lavigne's has piqued my interest substantially. Surely, I don't want to lose on the trade-in, so lots of things jostling in my mind at the same time. 

Would welcome ideas.......please!

cheers

sujay

sujay
@jtinn, I agree it’s not cool to talk down a competitor’s products without disclosing your own commercial interests. Rockport make some very well put together speakers & use some of the best composite cabinets in the business.

As far as the Paradigm Persona 9H speakers go, they use mostly car audio technology (eg: small diameter opposed active subs, ice amps, dual VC woofers etc). Dual VC woofers are 30 year old technology abandoned by Watkins Stereo almost 20 years ago. Today, no serious high end speaker manufacturer uses dual VC woofers.

I own Magico S5 Mk2 speakers. There is a reason why Magico don’t use Beryllium midrange driver cones and pure Beryllium tweeters (anymore). The S5 Mk2’s feature diamond-coated beryllium tweeters which provide an ideal balance between mass and stiffness. And the new robust motor system and long-throw voice coil design have lower distortion which allowed the breakup to be moved beyond the band pass, allowing seamless integration with the midrange driver.

The S5 Mk2’s use the exact same midrange drivers as the new $75k M3. From Magico’s press release - " The newly designed Magico six-inch midrange and seven-inch bass driver cones found in the M3 are both manufactured from Multi-Wall carbon XG Nanographene and a new proprietary ultra-stiff carbon weave which is 20% lighter and 300% stiffer than the cone material used in previous Magico loudspeaker offerings. The underhung neodymium base motor system provides an ultra-stabilized magnetic field for the pure Titanium voice coil to operate within. This radical new driver design offers the lowest THD in the industry and sets the performance benchmark for others to aspire to."

In the bass department, the S5 Mk2’s use all new 10" bass drivers with modified motor systems, extremely powerful magnets and ultra stiff aluminium cones & Nanographene dust caps which extend down to 20Hz and keep pace with the mid and high frequencies for a seamless whole. The big improvement in the S5 Mk2 is their lower distortion, greater coherency & improved sound staging. Off-axis performance is excellent; the mark of well engineered drivers, crossovers and cabinets.

If I were contemplating spending $35k on a pair of those Paradigm speakers, for the sake of an extra $3k, I would include the S5 Mk2s or new S3 Mk2’s (due soon) on my audition list. That’s the difference between high end, and aspiring high end speakers. Disclosure: I am not a dealer or distributor, just a happy end user.
Hi melbguy1,

thanks for your thoughts. I like magico S series more than the Q. Having said this, I clearly preferred the Avior to the S5. I'm sure the mark II S5 should be better in all respects but I wouldn't want to move just for that reason. As mentioned, the only aspects that the Avior probably lack, to an extent, are scale and adjustability both of which I will not be able to obtain by moving to another passive design. Of course, this is my opinion

cheers

sujay

Sujay, well horses for courses. Though you'll need deep pockets to move up the Rockport line...the next model is $62,500US (the same price as the Magico S7, and $20k more than the S5 Mk2 in premium gloss finish). FWIW, I think 'adjustability' is overrated. If you have bass issues, look at your room or change speakers. Room acoustics are a better way to resolve nasty room nodes. It's funny you mentioned scale...that is one of the distinct improvements in the S1 & S5 mk2. Good luck to you, but i'd rather put my $20k into better amps, a/c power & isolation.

Sujay,

i really enjoyed Ked's visit. lots of great music. he did seem to enjoy the Evolution Acoustics MM7's. prior to the MM7's i did own the MM3's for 7 years.

there are so many variables in a music reproduction system, but what you hear is limited by the limits of the speaker system. the MM2/MM3 has a very large performance envelope. it can control a large space, or a more limited space equally well. since the active bass is a sealed box it can be moved near a wall, or in open space. the bass response can be tuned to scale for that space. the ceramic mid-range/ribbon tweeter is the same as my MM7's, and has a wonderful seamless listenability. and the ease of driving the MM2/MM3 (93db, 6 ohm) allow a wide choice of amplifiers and allows modest powered amps to stay in their ideal performance range.

and you can always upgrade the MM2/MM3 with the Exact module which is the same crossover used in my MM7's for a boost in performance.

the MM2/MM3 is an 'end-game' product and i highly recommend it.

i don't know anyone in the South Florida area (i'll be in Palm Beach myself in a couple weeks for 4 days at a business meeting) with MM2/MM3's. but you are welcome to visit me anytime......and i do have a local friend with the MM3's in a small room that sounds fantastic.

best regards,

Mike

I started with a MM2 and really enjoyed it.  I upgraded to the MM3 and couldn't be happier.

if you gonna spend $$$ then imho it's great to have bass and treble control to adjust to diff room acoustic.

I think even though expensive the MM3 with powered woofer is a better value than the Magico.