Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Nuforce/Nuprime appoaches Class D differently and is most appropriately called an analogue switching amplifier. I have tried many class D and the Nuforce/Nuprime designs beat them all plus all Class A and AB that I have listened to. They are the most musical in my opinion and that is with a rig with 60K speakers and other fine equipment - give an audition. MY Nuforce Reference 20's are liquid, fast, controlled and natural in the highs
I'll stick with tubes for now, but the Mola Mola/ Vivid G3 Giya system I heard definitely wasn't midfi.
George not much buzz on the new technics gear yet. Maybe to come. I was in their room at Capital Audifest but they kept talking about the gear and did not play it while I was there. I wanted to hear and was disappointed. Nobody had it in their best of show list that I’ve seen.

No doubt higher switching frequencies done well is better. How much better practically in regards to what can be heard is TBD. I will say that each newer generation of Class D gear does seem to only improve so not at the end of the road yet.

I try to hear these high frequency artifacts in my Class D amps that I’m supposed to hear and have not heard it yet. So if it exists it is not blatant. At least to these 57 year old ears.

Again there is often more noise at the highest frequencies human ears can hear than music. So perhaps its an error of omission mostly to the extent present at frequencies that really do not matter much for listening to music.

Take a look at the audio frequency chart and you’ll see what I’m talking about in regards to at what frequencies music mostly all occurs.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Mapman, high frequencies are different for sure, but not for the worse.  Cymbals, for instance, sound more "brassy" and less "splashy".  To me it sounds more natural, but it might create false impression of limited extension.
Cymbals, for instance, sound more "brassy" and less "splashy".  To me it sounds more natural, but it might create false impression of limited extension.
If the switching noise output filter is set at a higher cutoff so to make the amp look to be flat to 20khz on test this will sound hard.
If it's set lower to try to rid most of the switching noise, this will already be rolling of at 10hkz and therefore rid any cymbal harmonics, this will sound more natural but not very extended.
So your compromised either way, the only solution is a much higher switching noise so it can be cut out totally with the output filter without effecting the audio band at all.

Cheers George