Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
I've owned several Class D amps and just don't think they have the musicality of very good Class A and AB amps.
Same experience here.
I have two Class D amps. Bel Canto ref1000m monoblocs in my main system (with ARC tube pre-amplifier) and true digital Bel Canto c5i integrated in my other smaller setup.

They each sound way different. Both are "musical" but not in the same way. You should hear the c5i with headphones. It is quite spectacular. Plus it does all the rest extremely well to boot!

Mid--fi? I think not. I’ve heard a lot of mid and hi fi over the years. Both play in the bigger league for sure.  Kinda like the Cubs and Indians.  Maybe even the Yankees and Cardinals!
Also keep in mind if one is keeping score, Class D amps have the advantages of small size, efficiency and ability to drive most any modern speaker well, including smaller more extended models that are very popular these days.

Other SS amps can do it but are larger heavier and probably more expensive especially when power consumption per watt delivered is considered.

Class D amps are very "green".  Class A amps are "gas guzzlers".   That part is undeniable.

Tube amps generally require certain speakers that are an easier load and more efficient to shine. Otherwise we can be talking mid-fi results there as well. I’ve heard that on many occasions where speaker choice for tube amp is poor for various reasons.

So the only way its really a fair competition is to discount the sound quality of Class D, which anyone can do.

Then there is the fact that the Class D amps continue to improve as Glofi mentioned.

So Class D is definitely a player but the game is different from tube amps in that the speakers one ends up with for teh best hifi results will be much different.
Mapman, you said earlier in the thread that the high dampening factor of Class D makes them a better fit for larger speakers that like high dampening...with your smaller speakers sounding towards the cold and dry side with Class D. So would it be safe to say that Class D should be carefully matched to speakers that like high dampening?    
sean I think that is a particularly strong application for them that may be hard to match as cost effectively elsewhere.

I think they are also a fairly safe bet to be able to technically drive most any speaker well up to a certain volume depending on specific amp used. Meaning the ability to get teh most possible out of most any particualr speaker.

That’s not to say I would even think they always will sound best.

For example, I anticipate my Triangle Titus monitors, which are small but known to be very tube amp friendly, would sound better (within their limits) with a good SET OTL or push pull tube amp. I plan to try taht someday soon and see.

My Bel Canto amps do a great job of driving the Titus on paper technically, and still sound quite good together, but the sound is somewhat lean in comparison to the others. I have found that corner placement with teh bass reinforcement that offers does help a lot.

Also I would say that in general the best Class D amp demos I have heard over the years also tend to be with bigger and better more full range speakers that have no problem delivering flat bass to the lowest octaves when driven well.   That's one of the hardest things for any amp/speaker combo to do.  Just like Class D amps excel for use in Subwoofers, they also excel for use with speakers that require no separate powered sub to sound great when driven well.