Selling?

I just had an unsolicited offer to buy my CJ 350. He wanted to drive down from the East Coast and pay cash. No price was mentioned. The next day he ask and I told him $6500. I thought this was quite low but I am getting old and have moved into an apt. He was shocked and said that he had seen many for $4000 and one for $3800. Now I have been in audio since 1960 and have a good idea what things are worth. I did not believe this for a minute. Looking on the net I found only one and it was $8724. So if you don't know yourself check with the bluebook before you sell. I told him to buy one of the cheap ones he talked about. So beware of lowballs.

128x128stanwal
Grannyring,

Thanks for the ridiculous comment. It's nice to know that you are here to, "...help others with our collective experience and wisdom," whether they ask for it or not. Re-read stanwal's post and learn something.
Also set a reasonable price and stick to it. Don't get into a biding war with a mystery unit. Someone said that they got one for $350! Fine, if the buyer expects to get one for that price tell him to go get one. I told the guy I was dealing with that. If he knows where to get one at that price go to it! I learned this in the 60s A dealer I knew had a unit selling for $500. Someone came in and said that another place for $400. Fine, go get it! Oh, he does not have any! When I do not have one my price is $200.

if you sit on it tight till the end of your clock, you'll always find success if not this time, than other time ahead.
keep firm!
That's good advice if you are willing to sit on your item for a long time. If you want to move the item, price it to the market. It all depends on your objective. In this case, the OP is not in a hurry to sell something and it is a relatively scarce item so he can wait until someone shows up who is willing to pay his price. It might not be this year, maybe next, maybe the year after. As a buyer, I'm a patient buyer. I know how much I'm willing to pay for an item and wait until there is a seller who is willing to sell his item at the price I'm willing to pay.