Dipole Asymmetry

I am considering purchase of a pair of Martin Logan Summit X speakers. In my room, I am somewhat constrained for speaker placement. I could place the speakers about 3-4 feet off the front wall. My main concern is my audio rack would be placed directly behind the left speaker, while there would be nothing placed behind the right speaker. How detrimental would this asymmetry be on sound quality?
imgoodwithtools
Post removed 
If it were me I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could try putting a diffuser panel (as opposed to absorption) behind the other speaker to even out the reflections compared to the rack. The GiK suggestion is a great one. If it matters (to you), they even sell real nice DIY kits to save a few $.

I think that many people get great sound from MLs placed 3 or 4 feet out from the front wall. Martin Logan recommends 2 to 3 feet. I don’t think having your rack behind one speaker would be that big a problem. You can experiment with diffusion on the other side, a cd rack or a diffusion panel or something else. You don’t need technically ideal conditions for the MLs to sound really good.

You can find the owner’s manual on their web site and see what they have to say about it, and you can probably call ML and talk to someone about it.

imgood, tomcy6 has a point, and a simple solution to my mind.  Try duplicating the approximate shape of your left rack behind the right OR put panels behind both.  With the first, you mess a little with the diffusion behind the speakers.  With the second, you simply reduce the delay time.  You might try both just to see the difference and which you'd prefer.

I have dipole ribbons (Heil AMT's) 2' from the wall...sounds good to me. *G*  Lucky to have 'blank walls' behind though...
This is audiophile neurosis at its best (worst) .If in a blind test anyone could hear which side had a rack and which side did not deserves the worlds "best ears award" . 
More to discover