Must speakers have certain volume to sound convincing ?

Panels have no volume, yet some like them a lot. Horns are, well, horns. Small dynamic speakers never impress me, that's for sure. 
What do you think?
inna
Post removed 
The OP poses a very good question that simply defines my struggle over 20 years of owning Thiel CS5i loudspeakers. Until very recently, I was increasingly compelled to listen at very high volumes to achieve an elusive "volume of auditory satisfaction", moving through several more-and-more powerful amps to drive the Thiels to perfection at higher-and-higher volumes.

I often call upon my golden-eared wife to evaluate changes in componentry/cabling/VTA adjustment, etc. She demands a listening level so faint that I can hardly believe it, yet ALWAYS perfectly nails the sonic differences, both good and bad, at this "ridiculously low volume", and often instantly. This leads me to believe that the elusive "volume of auditory satisfaction" is definitely brain and not ear-related and qualitative, not quantitative.

Very recently, two equipment changes have fundamentally changed my listening experience in this regard. The first is replacing the incredibly powerful Krell amp with a vintage Classe’ Audio DR-9. Avoiding the usual audiophile adjectives, I will summarize the change as one that draws me into the sound of individual instrument timbres and micro-dynamics (qualitative) vs my prior insatiable need for ultimate macro-dynamics (quantitative), although the latter quality is still there in spades, should I choose to use it, with the DR-9. The DR-9 brings a beauty to the sound that is immensely satisfying. I would attribute this contrast to critical "sins of omission" by the more powerful, yet musically inferior amp.

The second change was even more dramatic: addition of a SR Powercell 10 UEF with the FEQ reclocking unit between my dedicated 30 amp lines and my componentry. The effect of lowering the noise floor several notches and whatever else this thing does to refine the sound is revelatory. The music just comes through with astonishing clarity and finesse at any volume. This has changed my whole listening approach, now consistently preferring lower volumes, not because of a hit to the sound quality at high volume, but because of the more "mind-pleasing" musical effect at lower, "VENUE AND CONTENT ACCURATE" volumes compared to before. This second contrast I attribute to critical "sins of commission" by my AC quality sans the Powercell.

I now strive to reproduce what I perceive to be the "venue and content accurate" listening level for each recording and find myself appreciating the importance of it.

In closing, I would submit that, if your system fails to provide you with ultimate musical satisfaction at "venue and content accurate" volume levels, it is due to sins of omission and commission in your AC/equipment chain that must be weeded out and my experience tells me that the pursuit of "more volume" is, over the long term, fools folly.

...and then there's the aesthetic approach...;)

Agreed, dl.  Sheer volume/db's and the pursuit of more of it in the final analysis is ultimately silly.  Rock concert levels in your living room or wherever is OK, but isn't what one would normally do, daily....IMHO...

Louder does have certain effects on nuance, but one's perception and processing of what's occurring (or seems to be)....should remain...'stable', still 'perceivable'....hmm, 'uniform'....
I appreciate the 'venue appropriate' thought; chamber music vs. small club jazz vs.*insert your favorite here*.  It's a judgement call as to the appropo, but a nice view to take...
Sounds like your line conditioner was your best investment....although the Thiels' + Classe' sounds like a promising match....

Enjoy.....play loud...;) *L*

I have found that how loud a system needs to be played to be satisfying is not just a matter of the type of speaker or particular models of speakers.  The nature of the amplifier is as important.  I have been at demonstrations where people who are new to tube amplifiers are amazed at how "loud" they sound even though they have a much lower wattage rating than the solid state that it is being compared to.  Some people even talk as if a "tube watt" delivers more volume than a solid state watt.  I don't think so.  I think that, at any given volume a good tube amp sounds more satisfying and engaging that one just thinks it is playing louder.  I don't find better solid state amps to be grainy or harsh or thin or bright (the common accusations leveled at solid state), what I find is that most sound a little lifeless and I tend to lose interest and concentration quicker when I listen to solid state.  In fact, those negative attributes are, to me, much more common to high-powered tube amps than solid state ones.

I have found that, as I have improved my system over the years, I tend to play it at lower and lower volume levels; I don't look at ability to achieve higher volume levels as a major objective.  As to "realistic" sound, I again don't think high volume capability is paramount.  For classical music, even if one could achieve comparable peak volume levels, one would never play the system that way because the quieter parts of the music would be WAY too loud (recordings do not have realistic dynamic range).  For jazz and smaller ensemble music, I actually prefer listening at levels below that of live venues.  I don't really want to reproduce the live experience of a rock concert at home either; that experience is really not about the sound (if my system ever sounded as bad as that of a live concert, I would junk it). 

I have found having a sub helps to find that Magic volume where things sound real, even if not that loud.  

Funny someone mentioned pioneer hpm series.  I used to own the hpm100 as a teenager also.  I eventually rewired that speaker bypassing the tone controls and binding posts and even today a friend has them and they sound fantastic.  Of course no where near my current "pioneers" the Tad cr1.