List of musicians changed career with better success...

Hi I followed musicians from certain bands that were much higher class and caliber than the band they used to play and here’s my nominees:

1. Mike Stern -- Blood Sweat and Tears reached his prime as virtuoso fusion guitarist and set up quite a few interesting projects
2. John Paul Jones -- Led Zeppelin. He can play various instruments and created great projects especially one with Diamanda Galas which is far more creative than his carreer in Led Zeppelin.
3. Andy Summers -- Police became jazz guitarist and created great albums in 90’s
4. Gary Brooker -- Procol Harum -- pianist and vocal of Procol Harum. His solo albums are more interesting than ones with Procol Harum
5. Colin James Hay -- Men At Work -- multi-instrumentalist, bassist and vocal released very few albums that are definitely beyond the class of Man At Work
6. Steve Stevens -- guitarist who performed with Billy Idol created great solo albums...
7. Finally among the Beatles, I believe the most successful solo career that goes beyond the Beatles I believe belongs to George Harrison.

Welcome to chip-in...
czarivey

Of course, I guess I should mention the late, great, David Bowie, who changed his stage personality and musical styles so many times it’s hard to count them all. Did the changes improve his career? How does one improve on perfection?

An artist who flipped for the worse was Annabella Lwin, former lead singer of Bow Wow Wow. She went for Brit-pop singles on her first solo album, and it was a near-total fail (except perhaps for the cover of "Fever"). This former Malcolm McLaren product’s career mostly vanished after that one solo effort.

Adam Ant also went from British New Wave/punk to pop, with mixed results. He disappointed his original fans, and made new ones in the Brit-pop world.

Spandau Ballet went from New Romantic to pop. They sold more records as a pop act, but many fans like me missed the edginess of their New Romantic sound.

One of the more dramatic shifts was that of Colleen Ann Fitzpatrick of Eve’s Plum, a power-pop/punk act in the early 1990s, who resurfaced as Vitamin C. Again, while a commercial success, she abandoned her original fan base.

Members of CAN, Japan and King Crimson are very creative by nature. They had equally successful times within and outside their bands.
Robert Fripp, 
Bill Brufford (Earthworks)
Steve Jensen
Richard Barbieri
David Sylvian
Ruichi Sakamoto
Mick Karn
Mark Isham
Holger Czukai
Irmin Schmidt
Michael Karoli
Rebop Kwaku Bah
Damo Suzuki

Check their solo albums. They've been also collaborating tight with Brian Eno as well.

Another genius outside of Roxy Music is actually Phil Manzanera who's skills are far beyond the qualities of Roxy Music. He also formed his own band "Explorers".
None mentioned Pat Metheny and Mike Brecker who started with Joni Mitchel... 
@folkfreak Good call re: David Sylvian! One of the most under-appreciated musicians IMHO. Secrets From the Beehive is a desert island disk for me for sure. Cheers,

Spencer
David Sylvian is very appreciated. He didn't have any large commercial goals and obviously wasn't "King of Pop" or "King of Swing".
>Pat Metheny and Mike Brecker who started with Joni Mitchel...

That's some bad info there.