Purchasing from Japan

Greetings all,
    Has anyone purchased an item from Japan? I'm interested in buying the DAC module for an Accuphase integrated and an eBay seller from Japan has a new one for just over half of the US retail. Voltage is not an issue in this case, I have confirmed that. The seller has hundreds of sales with perfect feedback and has quickly answered two questions that I asked. So I feel good about that. Shipping of this small package would be by DHL. VAT and import duties not included but shipping is free. Does anyone know what I can expect for a purchase price of about $1,100?
~Oran
128x128oranfoster
I don't know if Accuphase dealers in Japan would sell anything to the US residents, but I do know that official Accuphase prices in Japan are probably 40% lower than here. I heard that some people actually traveled to Europe to get some expensive equipment there. In the end it was not cheaper except that they had a week vacation in Europe for free. Interesting world.
It is not illegal to purchase from the "Grey Market", many people do and never have an issue with the component they purchased. For those people that do have service issues, they have no support from the US distributor and either have to seek out third party support or return the component to the country of origin. If you except that risk then there are no issues.  
Accuphase markup in the US is outrageous.  I would not hesitate to buy direct from Japan.  Check out the Accuphase prices in Japan on the PriceJapan.com website! DAC-40 is $853.
It is highly unlikely that you will get ripped off doing business in Japan.  I've lived here for many years and have not come across a scam yet.  I have bought and sold audio equipment here and have been impressed by the level of honesty and integrity.     
I have purchased cartridges at 50% off; Koetsu Platinum Signature Jade and a My Sonic Gold.
  They came from Tommy at [email protected]. He's been around for some time and posts monthly specials, should you be interested in high end gear at great prices.

Ken