Anyone still using monster M2.2S cables (the really fat ones )

Ive been playing with my power cables lately after picking up a Hydra.   Have been trying a few different speaker cables but I keep going back to the old thick monster cable.    Running upgraded Odyssey Monos with tube preamp and Dunlavy SC IV speakers.  Sources= mostly digital but also a few records now and then.  Room is treated and been tweaking it for the last 4 years.    I tried Groneburg,mid range nordost and cardas speaker cables.  Interconnects are all high end Groneburg.  Curious what the Audiogon community thinks on the Monsters.

timber77
Hey, if you like them... that’s all that matters. Never been a huge fan of Monster Cable, but only ever owned their entry stuff when I was a young guy in the mid 80’s. Monster Cable and Bose are marketing giants and a lot of people enjoy their products apparently but I don’t think many audiophiles take them too seriously. See if one of your local audio shops will let you drag home other cables to compare. I suspect the Monster is not too open or revealing but that might give it a warm sound that you may prefer.

Worked for an Audio store in the early 90’s and we sold Monster and AudioQuest did much better sales wise on the mid and upper models. Sold a ton of the entry level stuff. We also sold Dunlavy so I knew their speakers well.

You mentioned some cables you have tried. Unless you get into the upper middle or top range Nordost or Cardas there’s much better value, better sounding cables out there. Not tried Groneberg so can’t help there.

I had a set of Dunlavy’s back in the early 90’s and used John’s SC and IC’s. Dunlavy’s cables sounded very good on his speakers and I always wondered if Monster didn’t make the cable. Was extremely flexible stuff.

I would definitely stay clear from silver cables with any Dunlavy speaker as they measure extremely flat with little to no coloration to give them some warmth. Not surprised you’re liking the Monster cable on them actually. If you’re using the jumper strips instead of bi-wiring them, you’ll be surprised what a decent set of jumpers will do over the metal strips. Make your own to experiment with first. That might open things up a little.

I use WyWires Silver SC and I believe these would have great synergy with your Dunlavys. It’s a copper cable; Silver is just the model number. Alex might send you a set to try and I think the Cable Company sales them too, so that’s an option as well. Very open, extended but smooth sounding cables. Very little of a tone control if any. They make my Aerial’s completely disappear in my room. Great speaker cable.

timber77

I can remember when the M2.2 came out- not a bad cable, just older by today's standards. How does it sound to your ears?

Not familiar w/ Groneberg? I would suggest that if you enjoy the IC, then match it w/ the same brand of speaker cable (SP) for openers.
There are too many excellent cables/cords in the marketplace.
Go out and listen, listen, listen to the others. Happy Listening!
It sounds great to me, I keep thinking newer technology wires might be an improvement, but yet to demo any that do.   I run them with newer Odyssey Audio amplifiers and I have an oldie but never gonna sell pair of Spectral amplifiers that I switch out on occasion. All are heavy so not exactly easy to go listen to speaker wires on my system.  I have been playing around with different power cables , the shunyata power snakes seem to be the best to my ears.  I have their hydra 4 power conditioner and its amazing what that does, I missed 2 days of work after hooking it up just to go thru my music collection :)
It sounds great to me, I keep thinking newer technology wires might be an improvement, but yet to demo any that do.   I run them with newer Odyssey Audio amplifiers and I have an oldie but never gonna sell pair of Spectral amplifiers that I switch out on occasion. All are heavy so not exactly easy to go listen to speaker wires on my system.  I have been playing around with different power cables , the shunyata power snakes seem to be the best to my ears.  I have their hydra 4 power conditioner and its amazing what that does, I missed 2 days of work after hooking it up just to go thru my music collection :)
Your 2.2 Monster cables are all you will ever need. Best bang for the buck. I don’t agree that there would be much improvement switching to better jumpers over the metal strips either. You can try it but I doubt it will sound better. It might even sound worse. Your speaker crossovers have circuit boards and what connects the components on the circuit board are similar to the metal strips designed to be there by the speaker designer. Good speaker wires get the signal from your amplifier to your speakers without degrading the sound or at least with the best compromises. That’s their only job. The Monster 2.2 accomplishes that as good as anything you will find. Once the signal arrives to the speaker terminals then the sound quality that you hear is up to the quality of your speakers. Speakers are designed to sound a certain way by the designer so I wouldn’t change a thing in them unless recommended by the speaker designer as an upgrade. Just like amplifiers you have to give your wires time to burn in with your system to sound their best. You should try the Monster M1000i interconnects to connect your other components. They work well with the Monster speaker wire you are using and are designed with the same technology and that will help you achieve synergy in your system.