Dazed and Confused - Upgrading System But Too Many Options!

Help! I am upgrading my stereo and just have too many options. Every time I think I have it figured out I go down another rabbit hole. I’ll start by saying what I have.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9
Amp: B&K ST2140
Preamp: Rotel RC980BX
CD: Arcam CD72
Phono: Rega P3

I have settled on the KEF LS-50 monitors. I am looking to add a network media streamer and either a new preamp or integrated amp.

So to keep this short, I see these as my main options:
  • Do I get an integrated amp like Rega Elex-R, Creek Evolution 50A/100A with a Ruby DAC or something else?
  • Do I leave off the Ruby DAC and get a streamer like Cambridge Audio CXN?
  • Do I forget about both of the above and get a Cambridge Azur 851N that is a preamp and solid media streamer?
  • Do I keep my B&K and just get a new preamp and media streamer (leaning toward Cambridge CXN)? I really like the B&K and think it’s very solid but then I would need to get another amp to power the Paradigms in the basement. 
  • Do I say “screw it all” and just get a PS Audio Sprout?

My listening style of late has been headphones on my Android phone but I want to return to where I was BC (before children). The monitor speakers will be better for listening anywhere on the main floor, not just in the sweet spot. I plan to convert my CD collection to FLAC (currently it’s all 320 kbps mp3). So I have some work to do but I need to make it easier for me to listen to music at home and upgrade the quality.

I know I rambled on, so if you made it this far, thanks for reading through.

Ken
treebeard1
Post removed 
Set up your digital front end prior to the other changes. I would go with an external DAC for down the road flexibility. Keep your amp/pre for now.

Have you listened to and are you set on the KEF LS-50s?

When you say "either way I am getting a new preamp" do you mean phonostage? If so that will cover your vinyl needs. Again adding flexibility for down the road.

Take it one step at a time, removing the confusion.

Enjoy the journey!

My preamp is the weak link.  It's an entry level preamp from the early 90s. No solid way to even connect my TV.  Right now the TV is connected via a headphone jack to RCA connection, which always comes loose so the speakers drop out.

I have not listened to the KEFs or any monitors.  I just don't see how I can go wrong for the price based on the reviews I read.

I assume a media server would have a digital output and leave the DAC to the preamp?  The phono stage can be added later on or I can listen in the basement with the old Rotel preamp.  I seldom listed to vinyl.  My old vinyl collection turned out to be a mess after I got the P3 - played too many times on cheap turntables with too much alcohol :(

One thing I am trying to do is minimize the footprint for the wife.  So fewer components are better than multiples.

Treebeard, do yourself a big favor, get a great sounding integrated amp and then look at a Aurender N100 music player (or whatever your budget will allow, Aurender gives you great selection), there ya go! two pieces of gear! AND your hearing some of the BEST digital has to offer!

Regards,

Matt M
Unless you pick a integrated preamp with built in DAC, you will need a outboard DAC with N100.  

Aurender makes awesome music players.  You should check out A10 with a built in DAC and streaming capabilities.  

However an external DAC will allow total flexibility with future upgrades.