Speaker Driver Material & The Sound of Dissimilar Materials

Can anyone explain(NOT anecdotally)how it is possible for a driver made of metal(aluminum etc..)to properly convey the tone of wood & how a wood/pulp or plastic based driver can convey properly the tone of metal(electric guitar strings,cymbals)?This is a very confusing concept to me...
freediver
The driver moves back and forth uniformly. It does not vibrate between two fixed points the way a guitar string or the spruce top of a cello does. Since the driver does not distort, it pushes and pulls air uniformly over the radiating surface so it doesn't matter to the air whether the driver is paper, aluminum, kevlar or any other material. The driver recreates the same pressure wave pattern as the vibrating top of the cello.

Sound waves are exactly what we hear for the waves are rarified and compressed air causing the eardrum to vibrate exactly like the source generating the wave.

Free, so how do you think speakers work when you get a phone call and recognize the voice, or vice versa? :) It would be pretty weird if there were vocal chords in your cell phone. Maybe you’d have to feed it to keep it working. The device in your phone is a speaker too.

I think you are overthinking it a little bit. If all that was recorded in a recording was the notes, like sheet music, then it would be impossible to replay a specific performance. What’s being recorded (as much as possible) is the individual vibrations that make up a sound. For instance, on a violin middle C is played. The CD/MP3 whatever doesn’t record middle C. The microphone recorded the fundamental and all the overtones produced by that specific instrument at that point in time, including any studio sounds, the sound of the bow pulling across the string, the vibrations of the body as well as any air moving through the holes on the top. There's also the effect of the bridge, and a little finger's worth of wood placed int he body of the violin to give it more complexity.  A microphone should capture as much of that as possible, much like your ears do. 

The speaker driver itself should be like a blank page, or like a projection screen. Without any image of it’s own, it should reflect only what is cast upon it. No driver is actually like this, and no driver is perfect, but that is what makers strive for.

Any driver, regardless of material, tries to function like a pure piston and NOT like a musical instrument. That piston should move back and forth exactly as the input voltage asks of it. It should not "ring" or cast on any overtones of it’s own, like a piano or violin always must do. It is in essence a microphone in reverse.

Best,

Erik

tubes444

Simply said.

A piston (cone) speaker is nothing more than a AIR PUMP.

A given material has nothing to do with it's sonic signature.( Woody) or Steely. But has everything to do with the speed & ease in which it responds to the electrical signal variances from the AMP. Sure materials vary from Mfg to Mfg only because they are sure that cone made from there proprietary  Nirvana X material.IS ABSOLUTE!!

Clarity hopefully,

Tubes444

If ebm says 'wow' I got to check out why. Ya,  I don't want a air pump in my speakers either. Just the basics. Air pump for tires.