Bookshelf speakers on a budget

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. However I'm on a budget in the $400-$500 range; I know this is a low dollar amount but it's all I can afford right now. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Thanks 
hfarrior3
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. However I'm on a budget in the $400-$500 range;

I'm sure all the above suggestions are fine recommendations given from folks that have experience with them.  Do you have any experience with them?  Have you heard them?  Do you even have an amp and is so, is it capable of properly driving them?

You fail to mention what kind of amp you have and this would be my first question when asked a question such as yours.  What good is a speaker that meets your price point if you cannot properly drive it?

Also, pay attention to whether the bookshelf speakers are front or rear ported.  If rear ported, they should be used with stands or the rear ports will be pressed up against a wall and you won't get all the bass the designers intended.  

And last, you must go out and hear them for yourself.  Speakers are the most subjective component in the chain and what one persons likes, may sound like crap to another.

Just a few points to consider when asking for suggestions on speakers so you can find the best speaker for you.   Theres a lot more to getting a pair of speakers than just asking for suggestions on the internet.  Good luck!
+1 Paraneer.  I believe all previous recommendations to be sound (no pun, well maybe). Mating speaker with amp is paramount to getting top value from both units. Value of a speaker is highly subjective. There are many good possibilities in your price range, new, discounted, used. 
I use Wharfedale 10.2s in my office system and they sound fine even in a less than optimal setup.  I can tell you that they will react to better upstream components.  Before I brought them to the office, I hooked them up to my home system and was amazed at how musical they were.  If you feed them well and take care in the positioning, they will respond.