HESITANT with NEW member sellers

I seem to struggle too frequently with members who are NEW, no history at all, but who seem to have beautiful systems, excellent taste, and are offering very reasonable deal on a very high end piece of audio equipment. 
I have passed up on "mint" Thiel speakers and "mint" REF6 Audio Research due to my fear of being ripped off. 
Is there protection built into AUDIOGON? Has anyone had experience with that?
I prefer Pay Pal, in hopes that they would provide protection...I believe they do..but the same sellers want cash or check....I am HESITANT. 
wahoo101488
Ferrox, wire transfer is probably provides the least ability to recover your money, should the deal go bad.
Paypal, generally sides with the buyer. Though they usually ask you to work out any differences with the seller/buyer directly, before entering into the fray.
As for CC companies, some are better than others. If yours doesn't want to help, then cancel the card and go to another bank. 
I share the general trepidation about zero-feedback sellers, but we all had to start somewhere. One way to establish a good reputation (IMO) is to begin by being a buyer rather than a seller if possible, and showing yourself to be a reliable one. Then, when posting an item for sale, be complete in your description of the item, including your ownership history of it (e.g. are you the original owner or a subsequent one?). Posting stock photos and a copy/paste item description from the manufacturer's website are big red flags to me. If nothing else, it shows me that the seller doesn't care enough about the transaction to expend any time or effort on it and that doesn't boost my confidence.
I agree that starting as a buyer is the best way to accrue good feedback even if it's relatively small items such as cables or accessories. I never trust stock photos and most of the above advice is very good. Bottom line for me is " if for any reason it just doesn't feel right... then let it go". I also only ship CONUS... Anything else gets too complex ... And remember: if you're doing FedEx or UPS discuss AHEAD of time whether buyer wants or doesn't want "Signature required!!!!"... ( I've had to chase packages at "local" pick-up locations that became extremely inconvenient in time and aggravation). Good luck.
Just be careful. Don't allow yourself to be redirected offsite. Wire transfer is risky.  Also watch the misspelled words of the product.  Lol. 30k speaker and scammer couldn't spell.   
+1 cooper52. I also ask a 'new' seller to call me. A brief discussion helps.