Are audiophiles still out of their minds?

I've been in this hobby for 30 years and owned many gears throughout the years, but never that many cables.  I know cables can make a difference in sound quality of your system, but never dramatic like changing speakers, amplifiers, or even more importantly room treatment. Yes, I've evaluated many vaunted cables at dealers and at home over the years, but never heard dramatic effect that I would plunk $5000 for a cable. The most I've ever spent was $2700 for pair of speaker cables, and I kinda regret it to this day.  So when I see cable manufacturers charging 5 figures for their latest and "greatest" speaker cables, PC, and ICs, I have to ask myself who buys this stuff. Why would you buy a $10k+ cable, when there are so many great speakers, amplifiers, DACs for that kind of money, or room treatment that would have greater effect on your systems sound?  May be I'm getting ornery with age, like the water boy says in Adam Sandler's movie.
dracule1
Post removed 
Just popped in to see if this slow-motion car wreck is still in progress...

Yup.

*aims the remote*
dracule1 OP
907 posts
06-12-2016 11:05pm
"Here are links to blinded tests. No test is perfect, but it’s better than just believing there’s a difference without evidence or even worse believing in the manufacturer claims. I never claimed there is no difference in cable sound. I just think the pricing has gone to the ridiculously extreme. The first link is the most comprehensive I’ve found. Eat your heart out Geoffkait."

Dracule, thanks for the links to blind testing of cables. But I’m a little confused since the summary of testing provided in the second link (see summary below) appears to clearly undermine your entire position. One wonders how in the world are you going to wiggle out of this one? Oh, I know, you’re going to say you actually thought there are significant differences in cables all along.

The following points of interest are from the Minnesota blind cable testing:

Points of Interest Regarding the Questionnaire:
- Seven listeners initially indicated that speaker cables do not make a significant difference, then changed their decision after the test.
- One listener initially indicated that speaker cables do make a significant difference, then changed that decision after the test.
- The term “significant difference” was left open for interpretation.

Tootles,

Geoff Kait
machina dynamica
we do artificial atoms right

Geoffkait, no wiggling needed. You even quoted me, in which I clearly stated that I never claimed there is no difference in cable sound, and no test is perfect. I even stated cables can make a difference in sound in my original post. Was I not clear enough? And why only bring up the Minnesota test and not the others? Cherry picking are we?
Dracule1: find your anilitical approach spot on! Price does not always quarantee better performance! Absolutely in the headphone industry !!! Cables can provide better sonic return but are the incremental increases vs price worth it!! In most cases no!!! Found cardas clear line of cables very impressive! Money for them pretty outrages!! If someone attacks this, well 80000 spent on a system does bring wisdom!!