What's going on with the audio market?

Recent retail sales reports are very bad and I am hearing that sales for audio equipment have been nonexistent over the past few months.  I also see more dealers putting items up for sale here and on other outlets.  Even items that have traditionally sold quickly here are expiring without being sold. 

To what would you attribute the slowdown?  Have you changed your buying habits for audio equipment and, if so, why? 
theothergreg
Not a class discussion.  I can buy what I want for the most part but nobody wants to put a new car into their system. Nor should they have to. I'm pretty much done on the big purchases. I'm pretty much done on the behavior of some of our audiophile brothers. It's become a hobby that is less about fun and more about guys thinking they they got better gear than other guys.  Some guys even think can tell other folks what to say. I think I have ran into more snobbery and less guys that just want to listen. This hobby is changing  there are less true audiophiles and more uber expensive gear that can't be purchased by most.  Bad mix 

Calvin- don't lose faith. You don't have to feel that way- this hobby can still be fun and lot's of good used gear, DIY, interesting stuff if you are willing to invest the time. The music- yeah, that's really the purpose, but we tend to rationalize all the gear-mania by claiming that it's getting us closer to the real musical experience. I feel like I've gotten off the treadmill, and while gear still interests me, I'm probably more interested in set up, the design, the "why" of it, and the history, rather than the bling. And buying records- much fun there to be had, you can have stuff coming in constantly from web purchases- great to look forward to, to explore and hear new things (or old things that you haven't heard).  I enjoy my system now more than I ever did; I still buy stuff, but I'm not caught up in any sort of competition, and I have fun experimenting. 
Returntomusic, I concur.  Not that there isn't a ring of truth in all the other posts but I think you nailed it.

TO THE ASSHOLE WHOM IS REMOVING MY POSTS- REMOVE THE POSTS BY SIDDH AS WELL. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST PERSONAL TREATS/CHALLENGES!