what does a power conditioner really do?

and why would one really be necessary 
shoe
Shunyata hydra and power cords really dropped my noise floor.    I didn't really wanna think it would but once demo in my house it was an eye opener.   I'm in a loft building with 15 amp service running tube and ss gear .     I think conditioners are not gonna make a mediocre system great but they will make a great system just a touch more accurate.     Prior to the shunyata I had just a monster power strip plugged into a Panamax.     That combo did not seem to do nearly as much on my setup .   

Over a number of years I have acquired several PS Audio "PowerPlant" models — all either "B stock" or at discount. I have opened these up and found them to be well constructed with high quality components. They work great at cleaning up power and providing protection against power line borne transients. They also buffer power for peak demand.

I have demonstrated their benefits to friends, and all can easily hear the difference in terms of both a non-existant noise floor and increased dynamics. They really shine with prolonged dynamic music when played at higher volume. You will get these benefits with or without upgraded power cables, but those will also contribute additional benefit. 

By upgrading your power to clean and "buffered" power and using EMI/RFI shunning interconnects, you will hear a difference. To me that is the motivation for the spend, but the protection factor is as important.

As well as providing (Often) sequential turn on or your components, a power condition, a power conditioner tries to make up for amplifier and preamp designs that do not have a well designed power supply, IMHO.
     They also give the retailer something else to sell you.
I prefer my 10 gauge, 30 amp wiring and electronics stuffed with big transformers and lots of big filter caps.
     I tried Classe, but I believe their gobs of small caps do not focus as well as the big ones in other brands. 
     Of course, other associated parts could be the difference.
     I am comparing Classe to things in the same price range and below.
It’s interesting that lately we are seeing more "quora " type questions here, meaning short questions about general concepts rather than "is component X good?" Or pitting 2 components against another. Hopefully it means younger people coming to the hobby since Quora seems to aim at a younger demographic.

There are some great Garth Powell videos on youtube that describe exactly what his products do, and they are worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfX--NEQsTE

He explains that there is 10,000 times more noise on the AC lines now compared with the 1970’s and that low level ambient cues can be 50’or 60 DB down in non compressed recordings, and that the power line noise covers those low level signals up. After hearing the 7000 in my system I can attest that this phenomenon is easy to hear.

Garth had been designing power conditioners for Furhman for 18 years or so and developed some great concepts, and then was hired away by Audioquest to build a much higher level product than Furhman was interested in, since they cater to the pro Audio world.

His Niagara 7000 (which I became an audioquest dealer for to be able to sell) has the ability to provide 90 amps of current for peaks, (which has an amazing effect on amps) in that micro dynamics are enhanced even when the amps are not being pushed hard. It’s one of the few active conditioners that is good for amps.
It lowers the inductance on the line so it’s easier for electronics to draw current.

Previously I was using an Acoustic Revive passive unit which itself had sounded better than an active unit I had.

The 7000 has 3 galvanically isolated zones so (amps, analog, digital) each have their own section, and features patented ground noise dissipation.
The nice thing is dedicated lines are not needed since an entire system is run off 1 line, and power is cleaned and stored in reserve reservoir for use.

As Garth says this has the effect of moving your house next to the power companies substation and running an 80 amp line to your system.

I will do a review of the 7000 with some sonic observations but if anyone in the NYC area wants to hear it in action (and on BHK 300 amps and the new bhk preamp or Atmasphere gear) contact me at www.triodepicturesound.com

There is also a much lower cost Niagara 1000 that has much of the bigger units tech without a transformer for amps.

Power conditioner is a vague term to describe most any device that might affect power.  Most power conditioners do not even address half of the anomalies that others have described.  Most who recommend these expensive devices ignore spec numbers.  And do not know that many power conditioners would sell at well less than half the price - and still have an obscene profit margin.

We presented a fancy conditioner to some to try.  They could hear greater clarity.  Then we opened it up.  It was a knot tied in a wire.  Yes, even a wire knot is a power conditioner.  Amazing how a knot created greater clarity - because it was in a fancy box.

Does not matter how 'clean' AC power is.  Because that power is converted even into well over 300 volt radio frequency spikes. Then superior and robust regulators and filters convert that 'now dirtiest' power into rock stable low DC voltages to power electronics.  Any conditioning done on the power cord is routinely undone inside electronics.  Then superior power conditioners clean that power.

So a wire knot does equivalent to an expensive Furman - and its fictional advantages of balanced power.  Even a wire knot conditions power.  Which means nothing when numbers are ignored.  And when one does not first learn how incoming power is intentionally made 'dirty' again.  Best power conditioner must already be inside your equipment.