Jeff Rowlands Amp and Dac vs. VAC amp and DAC

Hello, I am new to this forum but I have a question. I am trying to pair an amp + DAC with my Wilson Sabrinas. I have listened to Jeff Rowlands integrated with the Aeris DAC. And the VAC Sigma integrated with the Aeris DAC. Price is a factor and so is space. Does the 625 need a pre-amp? Any suggestions or thoughts? 
rinpoche
Hello again to all of you. I wonder, could I hook the Jeff Rowlands Aeris DAC to a VAC Phi 200 amp directly? Do I need an integrated amp or a pre-amp? Doesn't the Aeris act as a pre-amp, at least for now? I mean, what do you think?  

With the new VAC 170IQ and 200IQ, I would avoid Phi 200 unless it's a GREAT GREAT deal.   Used prices will drop with demand for the new amps increases.

If buy Phi 200 used, it would be difficult comparing Aeris with and without a preamp so try comparing Aeris to a 200IQ.    Once you have a barometer on the different combinations, then go shopping for Phi 200 if chooses. 

Rinpoche,
If your question is technical(based on specifications), I submit Almarg would be best to answer. The Aeris DAC does have a volume control, but I think it sounds better with a preamp. You need to take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, because I'm firmly in the camp of those that believe most systems sound better with a very good preamp in it.
Thank you. This is helpful. I wonder if you could elaborate as to what exactly the new VAC 170IQ and 200IQ are? I don't see them on the VAC website. Am I missing something? 
Rinpoche, the 200iq and the 170 (which incorporates "iq" functionality but omits those letters from the model name) are linked to on this page.

Ricred, thank you. In this case I don’t see any technical issues that would arise in using the Aeris DAC directly into a VAC or Rowland power amp, or into most other power amps for that matter. However both Ricred and a member who reviewed the Aeris in this thread that I referenced in one of my earlier posts have stated that they found adding a preamp to be sonically beneficial.

In the recent past there have also been lengthy discussions of this question pertaining to DACs in general, in situations where the DAC provides a volume control. See this thread, for example. My perception has been that the prevailing (although certainly not unanimous) consensus has been that inserting a high quality preamp into the chain is likely to be sonically beneficial in most cases.

FWIW, my own instinct would be to follow Knghifi’s recommendation and go with one of the new "iq" power amp models, initially without a preamp, ***PROVIDED*** that confidence can be established (preferably by audition) with respect to the issues I raised regarding the sonic synergy or lack thereof between a VAC tube amp and your Sabrina speakers. (And btw, the inclusion of a 1 to 2 ohm output tap on these models, that is not provided on the Sigma integrated, could very conceivably be beneficial in that regard). At a time of your choosing, now or in the future, you could then assess whether the addition of a preamp would be worth its cost to you. Perhaps by buying one used and then selling it if it did not provide a worthwhile benefit.

Finally, I’ll second the comment Charles provided earlier to the effect that VAC equipment is designed in an extremely robust manner, and can be expected to be very reliable. And their support and customer service is second to none.

Best regards,
-- Al

Rinpoche, 170IQ and 200IQ are VAC latest amps.  From what I was told, 1st lot of 200IQ has already been sold.  All I'm saying is used prices for Phi200 will drop so keep in mind when negotiating.

Kevin Hayes introduces 170IQ and 200IQ at CES

200IQ in action at CES

Wilson Sabrina with VTL at CES

I don't have 170IQ retail price but 2 170IQ is another option.