Esoteric SA-60

Never have I had such problems with a piece of equipment.  It's connected to the 7.1 bypass array of a Bryston SP3.  The display shows multichannel when I play a surround SACD, but I get sound only from the center channel.  I removed the parallel balanced stereo connection between the SA-60 and SP3, but that had no effect.  I never heard stereo from the SA-60 when I selected the balanced input, but I think I've heard stereo and multichannel from 7.1 bypass.

The trouble seemed to start when I learned that the SP3 does no processing in the bypass modes so provides no speaker management.  I set up speaker management using the menu of the SA-60.  But I've tried clearing the SA-60 memory several times since then.

I hope the problem is pilot error and not a defective SA-60. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Jafant,
I have been very pleased with the DV50S. The SACD playback is very good thru the 5.1 analog inputs and provides a useful/enjoyable option to 2 Channel playback. I use the K-03 for 2 Channel listening. The Video playback is also very good....darn close to the performance I get from the Pioneer Elite BDP I have which was surprising to me. 

dbphd,
great to hear you found and resolved the problem without the hassles of sending back a piece of equiptment for repairs.
I just successfully completed the 5.1 setup, including distances and levels.  I'm still playing the Linn Corelli disc, and the sound is magnificent.
DB, I was wondering how you made out. A splendid resolution to your problem, congratulations!

I am also very enamored with my DV 60, it's the best digital source I've had. Though for Redbook, I still prefer using the Genesis Digital Time Lens and Musical Fidelity A3 24 DAC (both have been modified), to the DV 60's internal DAC.

Regards,
Dan
Redbook sounds great played using the Ayre C-5xeMP.  The Sony XA5400ES gets closer to the Ayre with SACDs than it does with CDs.

I played a 5.1 DSD using the SA-60 this morning, then tried a stereo DSD.  The display indicated it was playing and the icons were appropriate for two channels, but there was no sound.  Given that I bought the SA-60 for 5.1 and have the Ayre for stereo, I'm not going to mess with trying to bring up stereo sound with the SA-60, but it is curious.