vpi tnt still a performer?

any thoughts on a vpi  graham 1.5 ? I have a line , am i barking up the wrong tree? or should i keep my classic.. 
128x128oleschool
Hi oleschool
Owned a modded VPI TNT for many years.
The VPI TNT has something really good going for it - isolation of the motor.
Add in those rubber belts and it produces a warm full bodied sound.
However introduction of the Technics SP10 MKII in my room revealed just how much the TNT’s rubber belts slurred the music. Getting rid of that old cranky PLC, and adding in a VPI SDS, took the rhythm and pace one step further, and closer to the direct drive. So that’s one good upgrade option. You can sell the PLC to recoup some of the money. You will have a hard time getting rid of that extra platter (the other option mentioned) - imo. Something to think about.

Now replacing the rubber belts with thread; that put the TNT on even footing with the SP10 MKII in the rhythm and pace dept. But the Technics SP10 could not match the TNT for its isolation properties.

The problem I found was that the TNT platter/bearing design is not meant for thread; so the thread needs to be changed out every 40 ? records going by memory. This took only a few minutes to do.

So I say keep the classic and pimp it up. Mine ended up with a pneumatic air suspension. There is a pic here.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/4719#&gid=1&pid=28

Unfortunately the audiogon system doesn’t permit me to select just that pic. So see the pic forth row up from the bottom. Good luck

A ribbed platter is VPI. I have a 3 and it has that. It is a very good platter. The 3 should have the air bladder feet and they work good but need to be releveled once a month. A 2 minute job. A very good table, I would not sell it to get a classic. 
" the thread needs to be changed out every 40 ? records"
I have used a silk thread and never had a reason to change it.  Of course you need a speed controller if you use a thread to allow for slippage.  It is well to spray (or soak) the thread with an adhesive.

" A ribbed platter is VPI. I have a 3 and it has that. It is a very good platter. The 3 should have the air bladder feet"
I guess I stand corrected about a "ribbed" platter.  I would love to see one.  Googling "VPI ribbed platter" comes up empty.  Any chance of a picture?

IIRC air bladder feet were introduced with the Mark V version.  Some were retrofitted to earlier models.  As they proved to be a PITA, they were replaced with squash balls.
Air bladder feet were introduced with the release of the TNT Mk4.  There are few early Mk5 with air bladder feet until existing stock was depleted.  The Mk5 used racquet balls for air suspension (no leaks)

It sounds like your table is a Mk3 with spring suspension.  The holes on the top of the corner support towers have a 1/4-20 threaded set screw in which the spring suspension is supported. You adjust the set screw to level the table.

If by "ribbed" platter you are referring to a platter with drive belt grooves cut into the platter's side to help prevent belt creep, then you have a TNT platter made from a combination of aluminum and delrin. A very nice platter.

The Graham 1.5 is also a very good arm.  You could reach out to Bob Graham to ask if he has any 2.2 bearing upgrades.