Does it ever bother you

When someone speaks a lot about technical jargon but never mention what kind of music they listen to or what particular recordings really float their boat. For me it is a real disconnect and a turnoff. But I guess some people are more into the equipment than the music. When I first got Into audio equipment I thought it was all about the sound. Nowadays I don't always find that to be the case.

taters
Much depends on the context of the conversation. Some issues require tech detail much of which flies over my head. But oftentimes the type of music is helpful to reinforce the points they are trying to explain. In my case, although I don't listen to much classical or rock for that matter, most of us are at familiar with the various genre to understand the point being made. Only when condensation creeps in does it get a bit old. Interesting conversation. Thanks, Dave 

Over 35 years ago I was an audio salesman, on commission only, at a high end shop in DC.  After I got somewhat "seasoned", I noticed that I could sell fairly easily to people who loved music and most of the time I was wasting my time dealing with those who loved the equipment, but hardly ever bought any.

This is in 1979.

I'll never forget a group of these equipment freaks telling me that they were going to hold off buying any equipment until "digital" became available.  Since it was a slow day, we talked and I thought there was a possibility of "going digital" with sources and amps (up to the point of driving speakers), but I couldn't see how speakers could become "digital"...we almost had a bar fight on our hands!
"Only when condensation creeps in does it get a bit old."     Yeah, I just hate it when conversations get drippy.     
Active monitors that accepts digital input is about as digital as it get’s. Then PWM class D direct to drivers.
I think what really bothers me (just a bit) is the excessive taking about the gear. Period. With or without referring the music they listen to. Equipment is something that should be shortly presented and described, but some folks simply like to discourse endlessly and far beyond the reasonable - about equipment. A good example are cables reviews: too much talk.
I am, always was, totally into music. Since I was a little kid, music always rocked my world no matter what kind it is, classical or rock. Then comes the equipment (and yes, I also drool and dream with lots of components), but music comes first. And being a music lover and having studied music and played some instruments, I enjoy listening to many styles of music -from classical to pop, to folk, to hard rock, etc. And I can assure you that most of the musicians and people that have a real knowledge about music tend to be this eclectic. That's why I don't get the comment from Mattmiller about eclectic musical tastes. What's odd about enjoying Rage Against the Machine as much as Chopin? It's all music!
By the way, someone referred Fela Kuti; that's funny because I already had the chance to watch him perform for more than one time (in Portugal).