Does it ever bother you

When someone speaks a lot about technical jargon but never mention what kind of music they listen to or what particular recordings really float their boat. For me it is a real disconnect and a turnoff. But I guess some people are more into the equipment than the music. When I first got Into audio equipment I thought it was all about the sound. Nowadays I don't always find that to be the case.

taters

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

Over 35 years ago I was an audio salesman, on commission only, at a high end shop in DC.  After I got somewhat "seasoned", I noticed that I could sell fairly easily to people who loved music and most of the time I was wasting my time dealing with those who loved the equipment, but hardly ever bought any.

This is in 1979.

I'll never forget a group of these equipment freaks telling me that they were going to hold off buying any equipment until "digital" became available.  Since it was a slow day, we talked and I thought there was a possibility of "going digital" with sources and amps (up to the point of driving speakers), but I couldn't see how speakers could become "digital"...we almost had a bar fight on our hands!