turntable speed control

VPI sds vs. Phoenix engineering PSU speed control

Ag insider logo xs@2x1litespeed
Post removed 
"Not incidentally, the question isn’t only, "Is it measurable?" but, "Does it create an audible effect?" I say that because we can measure some things that we cannot hear".

More importantly, I believe, we can hear things that we cannot measure.  That is why, despite the great (industry approved) measurements from relatively inexpensive direct drive TTs, most careful listeners know that belt drives (which may measure worse in some respects) sound better.

""If you even lightly touch the platter while it is moving, it will drop in speed"
Not necessarily. A light touch to a 22-pound platter doesn’t effect speed"

Well, I have a 20 lb.TNT platter + a flywheel and the reduction in speed when given even a very light touch is undeniable to all who can hear . . or measure.

melm "More importantly, I believe, we can hear things that we cannot measure."

While there's no question that we can measure things we can't hear, I think it is also mostly true that we can hear things we can't measure. Oftentimes, however, I think it's not that we can't measure it, but that  we don't know how, or what, to measure.

"That is why, despite the great (industry approved) measurements from relatively inexpensive direct drive TTs, most careful listeners know that belt drives (which may measure worse in some respects) sound better."

You'll get no argument from me on that!

..just wondering if anyone has data about the accuracy of VPI's rim drive Superscout.
Let me clarify if I may.  The potential slightly fast speed of a "warmed up" turntable is caused by BOTH the belt and bearing.  As the table is used the belt becomes slightly more pliable.  In some bearing designs this allows the bearing to more precisely align itself and work as it was designed.  The "cold" stiffer belt pulls on the platter harder which can create a chaotic situation in the bearing and reduce its performance.  My turntables avoid this, however I have measured this increase in speed myself, in some designs.  My tables btw, often use the Phoenix controllers and they are excellent and great value.  Drift on my tables, with Phoenix controllers is essentially non existent.

Bruce
Anvil Turntables