turntable speed control

VPI sds vs. Phoenix engineering PSU speed control

Ag insider logo xs@2x1litespeed
phoenixengr " ... I’d suggest you do a little more research before you decide to debate how these systems work. You seem to have little understanding of the physics involved, yet you ’know’ so much."

When phoenixengr asked how I made my measurements, I responded and the answer is above. But when asked how he substantiates his claim that " Belt creep does exist and it is measurable," he becomes argumentative. Of course, he’s trying to sell something here, and I’m not. Perhaps that accounts for the difference in our attitudes.

Not incidentally, the question isn’t only, "Is it measurable?" but, "Does it create an audible effect?" I say that because we can measure some things that we cannot hear.

" If you even lightly touch the platter while it is moving, it will drop in speed"

Not necessarily. A light touch to a 22-pound platter doesn’t effect speed - the force of the touch is insignificant compared to the moving mass of the platter. But phoenixengr already knew that.

phoenixengr, your products are highly regarded by many in the audiophile community. I’m sorry to point it out to you, but you’re really not helping yourself with the illogic you’re using here.
Post removed 
"Not incidentally, the question isn’t only, "Is it measurable?" but, "Does it create an audible effect?" I say that because we can measure some things that we cannot hear".

More importantly, I believe, we can hear things that we cannot measure.  That is why, despite the great (industry approved) measurements from relatively inexpensive direct drive TTs, most careful listeners know that belt drives (which may measure worse in some respects) sound better.

""If you even lightly touch the platter while it is moving, it will drop in speed"
Not necessarily. A light touch to a 22-pound platter doesn’t effect speed"

Well, I have a 20 lb.TNT platter + a flywheel and the reduction in speed when given even a very light touch is undeniable to all who can hear . . or measure.

melm "More importantly, I believe, we can hear things that we cannot measure."

While there's no question that we can measure things we can't hear, I think it is also mostly true that we can hear things we can't measure. Oftentimes, however, I think it's not that we can't measure it, but that  we don't know how, or what, to measure.

"That is why, despite the great (industry approved) measurements from relatively inexpensive direct drive TTs, most careful listeners know that belt drives (which may measure worse in some respects) sound better."

You'll get no argument from me on that!

..just wondering if anyone has data about the accuracy of VPI's rim drive Superscout.