Old friend looking for acoustic folk inspired music

So an old friend recently posted this query on his Facebook account. Any suggestions for this eloquent fellow?

" Really in the mood for some new, smart, beautifully written, acoustic folk inspired music from someone with a good set of pipes. A mash-up of Kelly Joe Phelps, The Wailin' Jennys, Harry Manx, and Shovels & Rope would be perfect. Does said lusciousness exist? Hit me with your rhythm stick. Thanks"
maxnewid
One of my "new favorites" is Antje Duvekot, especially her Live from all over the place CD.  Matraca Berg is a killer songwriter with an angel's voice and a good sense of humor, (Honey, your husband's cheatin' on us).  Also, Hank's granddaughter, Holly Williams. 
One disc I can highly recommend (and that I've been using as a reference for the past year or so) is "The Elizabethan Session" album produced in 2014. This is a recording of 13 songs from 8 different current UK folk artists all inspired by the times of Queen Elizabeth I. There are a number of standout songs and performances and this is a good introduction to the work of all of these artists, in addition the album is very well recorded in a period house with great sense of space on many of the tracks

http://www.folkbytheoak.com/tes.aspx

Marc Carroll "Stone Beads & Silver"
John Moreland "In The Throes", "Earthbound Blues"
Eric Bachman of  Archers of Loaf & here Crooked Fingers, "Breaks In The Armor". While not normally classified as "folk", I think this lp is.
..a couple more..

I think it's safe to qualify Calexico as folk.,  you will not find a much better group musicians than what make up this band.

Tift Merritt, I saw her on the Traveling Alone tour. I believe John Convertino was on drums (Calexico), and the pedal steel player, the name is escaping me right now, however, I found it hard to keep my attention on Tift, because of the "ease" in which these two musicians excelled in their craft!