Old friend looking for acoustic folk inspired music

So an old friend recently posted this query on his Facebook account. Any suggestions for this eloquent fellow?

" Really in the mood for some new, smart, beautifully written, acoustic folk inspired music from someone with a good set of pipes. A mash-up of Kelly Joe Phelps, The Wailin' Jennys, Harry Manx, and Shovels & Rope would be perfect. Does said lusciousness exist? Hit me with your rhythm stick. Thanks"
maxnewid
Marc Carroll "Stone Beads & Silver"
John Moreland "In The Throes", "Earthbound Blues"
Eric Bachman of  Archers of Loaf & here Crooked Fingers, "Breaks In The Armor". While not normally classified as "folk", I think this lp is.
..a couple more..

I think it's safe to qualify Calexico as folk.,  you will not find a much better group musicians than what make up this band.

Tift Merritt, I saw her on the Traveling Alone tour. I believe John Convertino was on drums (Calexico), and the pedal steel player, the name is escaping me right now, however, I found it hard to keep my attention on Tift, because of the "ease" in which these two musicians excelled in their craft!

Tift is so relaxed and comfortable live, isn't she Slaw? Saw her at the Troubadour opening for Lucinda---good show!

One guy who "went" Folk after being in a Power Pop/Garage Rock band I liked a lot (The Plimsouls) is Peter Case. T-Bone Burnett produced his early albums, but I find him a little too self-conscious and deliberate, if you know what I mean. I feel the same way about Gillian Welch, though I acknowledge her talent.

Mary Gauthier can be considered Folk, and she's really something. Very personal, yet universal. I like her a lot.

tostadosunidos,
I came across Milk Carton Kids when NPR played some music during an evening session. They remind me of Simon Garfunkel. Very good music. I am looking more into older folk like Joan Baez, etc. This genre is fairly new to me. I also liked Hatful Of Rain that I picked up recently.