Performer-in-Room Quality with Speakers?

I need advice regarding what kind of speakers might help provide what I'm looking for. (For some time now I've been a tube guy for amplication, and that will not change; source components and media vary.)  I want an illusion of the performer (acoustic instrument music, vocals, classical, and combo jazz,) actually being in the room, realism so convincing that it is potentially startling. The only time I've had that sensation is when I use my Stax Ear Speakers. Concerns are sensitivity to room placement, cost, and of course spouse approval factor. Soundstage, imaging, dynamics, deeeeep bass, can take a back seat if necessary. 

Any ideas?  Single-point drivers?  Crossoverless units? Open baffle?  Vertical arrays?  Electrostatrics or planars? 
(For the record I've owned Maggies, Shahinian Obelisks, mid-fi traditional boxes and so on.)

Thanks for your ideas,

OGOgre
ogogre
Well, my new speakers arrived.  They are new in the box 30 year old Ohm Acoustics Sound Cylinder SCT (T for tall) Plus, Series 2, in solid black, 42 inches tall. 

They each look like Kubrick's Great Black Monolith, only cylindrical.  And yes, like a 2001 man-ape, I practically worshipped them at first sight, touching them, backing away, grunting, touching them again, and ultimately weeping in response to the revelation.

Seriously, however, as it is early in the morning, the most I've been able to do before I take off for work is remove them from their crates, take off the 30 year old plastic wap, and set them up.

I will check the Walsh driver surrounds to see if they have deteriorated from all of those years in a warehouse, but if they're good, maybe I'll run some low volume bass-heavy music while I'm away to break them in.

Hah!  Putting 30 year old speakers through their very first breaking-in!

I'll report back as I know more.

OGOgre
I believe you have the pro series...they were black!  The SCT+'s were oak
dave_b, I have read that was the case, that the Pro Series were black.  Thing is, they were sealed in the original crate/box, with all of the original styro packing stuff, and the box has "SCT+" all over it both in graphics and in a couple places in red Sharpie.

I was unable to check the surrounds as I've learned online and now in my personal experience they cannot be opened up in any way short of using a heat gun and thin prying device to patiently and carefully remove either the grill up top or the base down below.  They are glued together with what appears (I can spy just a glimpse of it with a magnifier/LED light) to be a caulk-like adhesive.

I peeked up through the port on the bottom, but damping material (stapled in place) prevents the driver from being visible. 

So I fired them up with smooth jazz at low volume for a few hours, then orchestral classical at medium volume for a few hours, then jazz fusion with electric bass and kick drum at medium-high volumes for a half hour.  At first the low bass was nonexistent in the process, but at some point in the middle of the orchestral classical I could begin to hear the double bass, tuba, tympani, and such.  By the time I was modestly turning up the electric bass and kick drum laden jazz, the deep bass (well, not crazy deep) had finally arrived.  I carefully listened for and heard no sign of a deteriorating surround.

They sound excellent, especially now with a bit of breaking in.  I will listen to acoustic music tomorrow or perhaps the next day and report back.  I've got a lot on my plate right now.

Before that tomorrow, however, I will play the acid test, but at low volume only, the legendary disc with Jean Guillou playing "Pictures at an Exhibition" on The Great Organ of Tonhalle, Zurich (Dorian).  Track 2, "Gnomus" has what must be a low A or even G starting at 0:50.  It sounds to me like the fundamental is at or below 20hz.  It is easily the lowest note I have ever heard on any recording, audible on a great system, but the amazing part is that one can feel the shudder of the note from the floor around your feet.

In truth, it is really a note for high current amps and transmission line speakers.

OGOgre
SUCCESS!  (Well, close enough for what I want in that room for my claiming success.)

My co-worker who had specific advice (see above) came over and hooked up some DIY speakers he finished last weekend.  First, this is with my M&K subwoofer with the crossover at about 60hz and the volume set quite low.

His speakers are slim, comparatively deep and tall (16 x 5 x 9, maybe?), on 22" stands, conventional front port, no crossover or caps, one full range 4 inch speaker (don't know the brand, but he said the pair cost under $300).  From low to medium volumes, with the speaks toed in slightly, in the sweet spot (surprisingly wide), male and female vocals in small acoustic combos or with one acoustic guitar sounded like they were right there in the room with us.

Chamber music with five or fewer instruments sounded genuinely live, in-room, too.  The soundstage was not spacious, but it was precise and focused.  Solo piano did not sound great, only O.K.

Depending on the music, we sometimes had to lower the subs' volume even a tad more, such as with trio combo smooth jazz, in order to make the upright bass sound not amplified as in a club, but actually just acoustic, in the listening room.

The stands are mine.  He said that for sitting he preferred his stands, which I think he said are 18".  He also said that if he were to it again he would maybe go with the same basic cabinet design, but with 3 inch full range speakers.  His opinion was that that would sound even more "real."

Now I know what I need to do, although it will be some time before I can put it into motion.  I need to build or buy some single-point/single driver, crossover-less speakers.

OGOgre/Michael
If you are going the single driver route, I'd strongly recommend checking out the Omegas.  I've got a houseful of single driver designs and the Omega drivers seem to always sound the best to my ears.