Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
Dear analogluvr: I posted that it will be useful to know which cartridges and which audio system to evaluate quality bass response.

It's desired that for that overall system bass management evaluation one of the audio system links be a pair of active subwoofers wired in true stereo fashion, that the system electronics link be SS using cartridges with not only flat frequency response but very good trackers and natural tone and wide separation between channels with no bias to any frequency band preferences and with very well damped tonearms and TT.
Yes, sounds as we need the " perfect " system but we really don't need a perfect one but one that at least goes in that " road ". We need an overall low distortions system.

In the other side that the tracks used for the evaluation we choosed ( between other things. ) because we own the digital counterpart too. IMHO to evaluate bass quality level a digital counterpart is a must to have.

Of those tonearms you named I don't know nothing of the SME 3: I own/owned the IV/V/3009/3012. The unipivot for this evaluation is no real contender ( at least that model. ). The one I heard but never did that bass evaluation was the MS that is a good vintage tonearm.

As you can see it's not easy for any of us try to make bass management evaluation and probably the hardest frequency band to evaluate.

Btw, I already posted that the ET-2 is an audio icon in the audio industry history. Good, for you.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

I respect your opinion and I never mounted my same cartridge sample by B&O in the STAX but I did it in at least other 4-5 arms and always with a degraded sound quality level against the same cartridge mounted directly in a universal headshell.
That plastic headshel type used with the 20CL is more or less the same concept for some of the Acutex models and I experienced the same disappointment with: sound degraded quality level.
Hi Raul . . . I'll admit that I haven't tried the 1/2"-mount adapter with a conventional headshell to mount the B&O cartridges specifically on the UA-7 . . . quite frankly, I'm a bit short of headshells, but on your recommendation I might give it a try when I get the chance.

I have found that it's quite the moving target to get B&O cartridges to perform their best . . . and will concede that I've seen quite a bit of variability in the manufacturing and condition of their adapters and "headshells" for non-B&O tonearms.  I actually had to combine parts from three "integrated"-style adapters, carefully trim the molding flash, and use a stronger clamp fastener before I ended up with one where both parts fit well together to allow positive overhang and azimuth adjustment, as well as firm grip when the cartridge snapped into place.  There's also the issue that the integrated-style headshell grounds the cartridge case to one channel of the cartridge leads, rather than to a separate pin as on the 1/2"-mount adapters . . . I can see this being an issue for some phono stage designs (notably some with balanced inputs) I've seen.

It does also seem that in general you've had better luck with lower-resonant-frequency cartridge-tonearm combinations than I have, and I can only speculate as to why this may be the case.  IIRC the measured resonance peak I'm getting is about 9Hz with the integrated headshell, and since I've never had a good experience with any combination from The Land of Five Hertz . . . maybe the lightweight Ortofon wooden headshell will be a good match.

@pryso

I will offer arm suggestions specifically for high compliance cartridges as all were introduced during their peak popularity (no particular order).
- Infinity/ADC
- Mayware Formula IV or others in this series (I adapted one to an AR-XA table)
- SME 3009 Series III

I was thinking about Infinity Black Widown latest version with graphite armtube. Never tried it myself, so i need some feedbacks from experienced users. Anyone?
Dear kirkus: Through the B&O adapter the audio experience with those cartridges you own is a good one.

Those models you own along the MMC2/1 are great performers. Normally only a few audiophiles cares about B&O and the ones that did not try it are loosing a very good audio experience.

I still own my STAX tonearm but is in its box, maybe some day I will mount it again and try with my B&O cartridges.

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
SME III´s very low mass hyper rigid titanium-nitride armtube is damped by teak strips, a small oil reservoir under linked to armtube adds extra damping if necessary. SME III is a superior performer with high compliance carts, with oil or without depending on a cart used, IME since 1987. I think it can get the best out of any HC cart, and it works nicely with lower compliance carts as well due to adjustable counter balance system (thin lead plates). Obviously designed especially for HC carts. A classic SME at finest.