Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
If anyone can please clarify:

I understand that the Chord FPGA DACS internally convert DSD to PCM for playback. Is that correct or I have not heard the right thing?

I am looking for a DAC that would "play DSD natively". My definition of native would be - if I purchased a audio file in DSD, then the DAC should not convert it to PCM for playback or other reasons. (I am not going into the argument that the music was originally recorded in PCM and then converted to DSD, they way it was sold to me.)

Can someone please confirm?
Can't confirm, but personally I just listen to how things sound and never worry about how it's recorded.  I've heard both sound good and both sound like crap.  IRT the Chord DAVE, that would be a deal breaker for me for sure.  There are potentially some really nice DAC's coming to market at the 13k level.

Empirical
EMM
Bricasti
Aesthetix
Chord

I'm sure there are others.  I also see some really promising devices under 2k now also.  It's almost like there will be a big chasm between price points pretty soon.  
The best DAC dose not have to be be in the dig bucks range to be the best.
Just pick up the AYRE CODEX this saturday you should give it a listen be for you make your final decision  it's musical has a full sound stage and is not fatiguing for less then 
$2000

I love the Codex.  I heard it with my Noble IEM's and Nighhawk's.  I didn't get to listen in balanced mode, but I know that's even better.  The Codex is very very good.  Better than many of the 5k DACs in this discussion, however it's not in the same league as the upper end DAC's we are discussing from Empirical and some others.  I'm an Ayre guy too. I can't wait for them to release their new upper end DAC and or ref DAC soon.  Those should be outstanding and will be in this discussion for the best DAC for redbook music
I agree...funny, I have Codex with Nighthawks and also simple computer system. You have to hear it in balanced, way better...I don't have top shelf system like I used to have but i can tell Codex for the money is a killer, with great midrange and voice reproduction, depth often found lacking with solid state and musicality in spades. However, I get a feeling that its frequency extremes leave a bit to be desired.