Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
cto517

There is no "theory" in my post, just practical experience.

When you say lesser arms can sound better, were the both arms you heard set up properly?

And how did you know that was in fact true? 

ct...Oil? South.  For the time being, anyway.  The low prices @ the pump simply forestalls our being weaned from the stuff before it becomes rare.  HO:  It'll attain that just about the time the climate really gets everyone's attention, which is when it'll be too late to respond in our species' typically late and lame fashion.  But at that point you and I should be 'comfortably numb'...i.e., Dead...

"A poker game..."  *L*  Sometimes acts like a slamdance, opinions clashing like broadswords, ergo my Middle Ages ref.  As my ears have aged and don't respond to the extremes on nuance anymore, I've tempered my drive to new/newer/newest and resorted to what intrigues or amuses me.  My 'system' has become less 'hi-end', more 'test bed', constrained by budget.

I've been fortunate to have been exposed to things beyond my grasp, to at least experience and learn from that exposure.  I have my own opinions, some not so humble about it all.  I only 'air' them when either asked or at random 'knee-jerk' moments when the muse ice picks a tender spot...*S*

Mexico?  Sounds good to moi'.  GTF outta town, show up @ t'door. ;)  Worse that could happen is to sleep in the car...but you'd be warm. *G*

Leave the tone arm(s) @ home...unless you transport them in one of those alum cases with the foam inserts, like some exotic weaponry.  Which, considering the posts about and above us, gets kinda close...*smirk*

Cheers...

Dear don_c55: """ what you should know as basis for an arm decision.."""

Seems to me that your 6 premises to choose a tonearm are only your desire and that you want an user friendly tonearm, good.

I don’t see there that the tonearm has to be a good match for the cartridge or cartridges that own the customer that IMHO is critical for a tonearm choice.

What about those tonearms that are very well damped with out external oil damping? are they out to choice it? or the ones that has not fine tracking force with index mark, are out?

There are very good tonearms that are not so user friendly as you want but that are very good performers with wide good match for diferent cartridges, that has very good design and where that design were excecuted with really high quality.

Where do you leave the Kuzma 4P or the Reed P3? are automatic desqualified because are not 100% user friendly?

I can understand your post but I disagree with like chris ( btw, you can be always my guest, will be a pleasure to meet you here. ).

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
raul

I am discussing SOTA not merely good.

Index marks are IMO a must have aid.  It is possible, but harder, to land on the "tuned in sweet spot" without them. These sweet spots are very small, and hard to find. You can pass them by, if you are not careful, and not even know it.

A "good match" brings into the discussion "Magic" arms.

I prefer an engineering approach.

Thanks for the comments.

Don_c55, I tend to agree with your list of necessary features and I realize you said SOTA. I believe the OP referred to arms in the $6K and less range, and while all these features could possibly be incorporated in a $6K arm, sometimes the elimination of a feature is an engineering decision.

For me, VTA OTF is a necessary feature and I would give up calibrated azimuth adjustment to have it. Azimuth is set-and-forget adjustment, and while a calibrated  azimuth might be convenient for cart swapping, I think it's more likely to compromise performance.

Even though this thread includes a lengthy travel log and fanciful stories, I enjoy reading personal opinions and comparisons and wish there to be more of that. I think these opinions are equally valid as a prof. review, maybe more so.

In the spirit of time spent, already compromised, I ask everyone (not you Don), can't we move on? 

Regards,