Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
Hi Bill, i have used on my Blackbird Jelco 750L 12", Reed 3P 12", TW 10.5 and actual Jelco 750D 9" and Origin Live Conqueror 12".

Everybody knows that there is no better arm for the money than the Jelco`s.
The Reed sounds very musical, but has a resonance problem in lower bass frequencies. The TW has an incredible accurate bass, but maybe a small stage. Moreover the TW looks a little bit to small on the BB.

With the OL i can grow old.

Pictures of the Reed can you see here.
http://galerie-jumpy.de/categories.php?cat_id=20
From the TW i can mail and OL pictures i will make soon.

Cheers, Thomas from Bavaria
fleib: You continue to give explanations but till now you not answer that big WHY and if what you want to listen is what is the LP grooves modulations. Till when?

As a fact no one here gives any single answer about yet. Seems to me that only are walking " around and around and around " but does not takes the bull by its horns and I wonder why!!!! when all of you that are questioning my posts are experts.

Don't be shy or don't be affraid and just do it or perhaps no one of you have a real and true " card " in your hands.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear dover: """ Removed both external tonearm damping and internal tonearm damping from many arms. The result in every case has been an improvement in clarity, transparency and speed.
In some cases there may be increased colourations due to the resonances in the undamped tube - but for me I prefer to take the increased clarity, transparency and speed and deal with any increased colourations by other means. """

it's clear that what you want is not what is in the LP grooves modulations but what you like it. Good. 

You and me have diferent targets and that's all.

Btw, you don't need to answer to this post.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Hello Thomas from Bavaria,
Now, we're talking.
While I still am leaning towards keeping the FR66s, I will humbly admit that going with something more modern has been calling me, even if it's only to my vanity. The ONLY problem I have with the FR66s is it's mass, and while I know there are ways to somewhat ameliorate that issue, it's still somewhat constrictive in cartridge choice. So I still have been seriously considering an upgrade or lateral move, depending upon one's point of view.

I've been doing a lot of studying, and the Reed tonearms were in my radar. I thought about the 3P, but I don't need the azimuth on the fly capability, as I have the Feickert Adjust+ program in house to set it once properly. I really was looking at one, or maybe two Reed 2A tonearms, each optimized for two different cartridge compliances. One would be for my Koetsu or Denon combo, and one would be for my Grado Statement, a much higher compliance unit than the other two. But your comments on the resonance issues concerns me. Is it possible for you to speculate that the issue might be caused by the variable azimuth correction on the 3P, or is it maybe intrinsic in the basic nature of the Reed arms in general. I know that asking a lot and putting you on a limb.

I also am very interested in a Durand Talea2, as it appears, from what I've read and studied to be a world class arm. Do you have any experience with it?

I found the OL arms a while back, and I keep thinking they look mighty fine and should be considered. Your comments on the Conqueror are quite enlightening. If I understand your comments correctly, of the arms you have the Conqueror is the cat's meow, STS, and the one you would want to live with.

BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the OL 12 inch Enterprise. Their arms do look good, and especially that one.

Thanks Thomas for any input or further thoughts you may provide, as it is much appreciated.

Also, anyone else, please feel free to offer any input.

Again, many thanks.

Cheers,                      Crazy Bill
Hi Bill, if you measure the resonance of the Reed 3P you will see that there is something going on under 20Hz, what has nothing to do with music.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdh5lef1i9e01ua/Resonanz%20EMT%20am%20Reed.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrmmnqz4sonay7p/AP_FresResponseReport%20-%20Lyra%20Delos%20-%203P.pdf?dl=0

I think this it is a problem with the counterweight and the magnetic bearing (swinging). I have heard Reed has reduced the problem, but don`t now more about it. Still the arm sounds really good!

I would go with the 2A, if you will buy a Reed.

The OL is very fine azimuth adjustable over the 2 pivotscrews, but the range is limited and you have to talk with Mr. Baker bevore.
I have the internal and external Silver-Hybrid cables. Baker uses thinner internal than external cables which are soldered.
http://www.originlive.com/key-information-overview.html
Here you can read a lot of information. Maybe build philosophy at first...

If you want i can make some pictures of the arm for you.

Bye, Thomas