Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
Yes, the acoustical systems Axiom tonearm is amazing. Why is it so expensive ????
Yes, the acoustical systems Axiom tonearm is amazing. Why is it so
expensive
Because it's made by someone who actually knows something about audio instead of someone who is a pretender....
Dear halcro: Exist no mantra. Your tonearms mistakes ( every one learned through each one mistakes. I learned through them too. ) are facts  but you still live with those mistakes and other ones that are facts and no mantra.

Please don't try to hide the sun with your finger because you can't.

You  bought that DaVinci " GREAT " TONEARM AND YOU WERE PROUD OF IT. It does not matters that you accept it that was a mistake an ignorance mistake.

Normally our mistakes are ignorance mistakes and some other comes by " accident ".

Enough, the thread does not about you ( be happy. ), me or even wrm0375 but looking for advise. and I already gave mine.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Raul,

"Dear fleib: why is the best team those cartridges with that 66?, maybe I'm missing something and always is time to learn so some " light " from you can help all of us."

Sorry, I didn't see your post. Those carts are very low compliance. A low compliance cart needs high effective mass arm to control the cart and be a stable platform. Put a stiff, heavy tracking cart on a low mass arm and the resonant frequency approaches or goes into the audio band. The amplitude of the resonance can be quite high, producing colorations.

On another forum someone mentioned that a "guru" advocated a resonant frequency of 18Hz for a particular cart. I can only assume this was to augment the deep bass on his records or system.  

We often deal with the opposite situation - a cart with compliance too high for a particular arm. In that case the resonant frequency goes low - easier to live with if SQ doesn't suffer from poor low frequency tracking and/or sluggish sound. Peter Pritchard (designer of 50cu carts), advocated a resonant frequency of 6.5Hz.  This is above the warp region yet the arm will have enough mass to be stable. Arm damping (fluid) acts to limit the amplitude of the resonance peak and spread it across a wider frequency band, mitigating the affects.

Regards,

Dear wrm0375: Btw, looking for advise but seems to me that that was not your real target because you are happy with the mediocrity/average level of your tonearm and cartridges.

The advise I gave you was an unbiased one and looking for a real improvement of what you have today, looking for an improvement and that you can grow up enjoying a better audio/music experiences in your system but you have to have an open mind .

As I said that's only my opinion and the best one comes from you and if you are satisfied in your today status then stay there.

If all that is true then your thread has no sense asking for advise when you are not open to receive it and put wirth a defensive attitude.

Anyway, live with your choices. That's what deserve each one of us.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.