Does it ever bother you

When someone speaks a lot about technical jargon but never mention what kind of music they listen to or what particular recordings really float their boat. For me it is a real disconnect and a turnoff. But I guess some people are more into the equipment than the music. When I first got Into audio equipment I thought it was all about the sound. Nowadays I don't always find that to be the case.

taters
Matt, I was wondering if the works of the composers mentioned in the second post shown here might be among the "odd selections" you referred to.  As well as the works of a great many other classical composers whose works have been issued on the record labels listed therein.

Regards,
-- Al

Yes agree with taters.Whenever I suffer through a long tech deep dive I ponder my theory: they've never heard Fela Kuti.
Technical knowledge is very important to be able to maximize the performance of your equipment.  90% of audio performance can be explained and or measured, with the remaining 10% subjective and preference. 

If your question is towards technical jargon with respect to music theory, composition, interpretation used to describe the music (not the sound quality), then I agree with you statement manly because I am not well versed in that area.
It always helps when they give a point of reference so you can relate to what they say, but it doesn't "bother" me.  Some people are technical oriented some are music oriented.  If they get excited about technical aspects so be it.  It does "bother" me when people make generalizations about music types not being worthy of high end audio, but that's another discussion.