DAC vs. Preamp

I have just purchased Parasound JC1 Monos and will be getting Triton Ones soon. I will be using an Arcam cd player and Macbook Pro. I think I'm done with vinyl. Too much work. Would a good DAC be sufficient in this configuration or is a preamp still the way to go. I don't want the DAC to be a weak link yet money is definitely a concern. This is a brand-new system so I'm wide open to suggestions. Help,please.

Thanks, Mike

128x128bubba12
I would definitely get one with volume control. I'm leaning toward everything separate. Thanks for the reply.
There are four functions that any line stage of a preamp has to be able to do:
1) provide volume control
2) add any needed gain
3) select inputs
4) control the interconnect cable to the amp/prevent it from having a sonic artifact

Its the last function that is the least understood, and thus not realized by many preamps and DACs. A passive control could otherwise do the job if the DAC had enough output (which it should; Redbook standard sets it higher than the overload voltage of most amplifiers).

The problem is coloration from the cable and proper volume control in most cases. Individual results can vary quite a lot due to installation so really the only way to deal with this is audition.

I myself prefer to use a preamp as I have yet to find a DAC that really controls cables and I still have other sources (I still listen to the FM radio, tape and LP). Many DACs are great but have poor volume control systems (IOW, cause a loss of resolution as the volume is reduced). So I generally run them at full volume and control the volume from the preamp.
Thanks Atmasphere! That is a great answer. I was leaning that way. Any suggestions for a stand alone Dac? 

If you go the route of a DAC plus Preamp, what is your projected budget for both?

I have a Bel Canto Pre2 that i bought on Audiogon to start with. I’m not sure how it will match with the rest but it will be fun trying. I would probably go with the Parasound J2 for continuity sake and it gets really great reviews. I guess I’m more stuck on the Dac part. Maybe up to $2000 for the DAC.