Server to DAC connection

Robert Harley recently reviewed the top Aurender server, which offers several choices of connection to a DAC. He preferred USB via a Berkeley Alpha USB converter. By adding a cable and complicated piece of hardware, this seems to go against the 'simpler is better' philosophy. But, I wonder if there might be an overall gain with the Berkeley. I have the Aurender N10, and I'm currently using the SPDIF connection, as my DAC does not have a USB input. I'm thinking of trying the Berkeley Alpha USB. Has anyone else compared the Berkeley to AES or SPDIF? For those with a USB DAC, how does the Berkeley compare to a direct USB connection?
psag
IMO, since your DAC lacks a USB input, you will gain next to nothing with Berkeley Alpha USB. It would make sense to use Alpha USB with a Aurender N100 or any other streamer / computer with USB output only.

On the flip side, if you prefer to use N10 USB audio output then I would recommend trying Alpha USB or Schiit Audio Wyrd 'Decrapifier' and draw your own conclusions on which connection sound better to you.  

I do realize that Berkeley Alpha USB is an outstanding product, just not so sure that your setup will reap it's intended benefits. 

I have done A/B comparison with USB and SPDIF connections and to my ears, SPDIF sound more transparent and robust.  And by no means, I am saying that N10's USB connection sounded bad. 

Cables / Components: 
Aurender N10
Modwright Elyse DAC
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB
Verastarr Signature SPDIF 
Verstarr Grand Illusion Signature 2 Power Cables
Audience aR6-TSSOX Line conditioner

Like yourself, I am curious to hear opinions from fellow audiophiles as well. 

Happy Holidays! 
psag,

Now that I recall, you were going to try M2-tech HiFace Evo (USB converter) in between your DEQX HDP-4 preamp/DAC and N10?

I agree with Lalitk, that spdif is superior sounding to usb. At least, a few years ago when I did a/b testing with my own gear.
l'm not familiar with your equipment, but I own a music server that is usb only, and a DAC that can accept various inputs including usb. I went with an Audiophelio usb to spdif converter, and this dramatically bettered the straight usb to usb connection in every musical sense.
In your case, you can do spdif to spdif, so less may be more, unless there is real magic in the Berkeley.
I'm not sure if this helps you, but wanted to share my experience, because my Audiophileo does work magic in my situation. Did Hartley explain his opinion on why the Berkeley improved things? For example, it further reduced jitter thus sounding better than Aurender's straight spdif output?

lalitk,
I did briefly compare the M2-tech HiFace Evo to SPDIF, and I preferred the M2-tech. However in the process of fiddling with the M2-tech, I  damaged it. It is not a robustly made unit. My understanding is that the Berkeley is even better than the M2-tech.

KTK,
I don't think Harley explained the reason he preferred the Berkeley converter to AES or SPDIF. But, I suspect its related to the reduction of jitter and the re-clocking that occurs in the Berkeley.
Based on the above responses, one could surmise that direct SPDIF beats direct USB, but USB converter (Berkeley or M2-tech) beats them both.